20 Long Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rosesrblu1 said:
Go for it!!! It will accent the black on the tank well!

Well my walls are a darker green so I think the copper color would look really well abs they would match my bamboo floors as well. The wife wants to see it on a test piece first to see how it would look.

What about this??? Home depot has that crackle paint. Maybe black with the copper underneath? It will look distressed. Kind of understated with a bit of pop?

Rosesrblu1 said:
What about this??? Home depot has that crackle paint. Maybe black with the copper underneath? It will look distressed. Kind of understated with a bit of pop?

This would be pretty sweet. Definitely something to think about. Thanks for the idea!

Let me know what you decide. Interested to see the crackle. Thinking of painting my bedroom furniture like that?? It's light wood, and I'm over the pine look.

Rosesrblu1 said:
Let me know what you decide. Interested to see the crackle. Thinking of painting my bedroom furniture like that?? It's light wood, and I'm over the pine look.

I talked it over with the wife when I got home she liked just the plain white so it will be staying that way.

Will update tonight with a pic of the painted stand. Big updates to come Monday and Tuesday. Stay tuned.

Yeah, we wives always win in the end. My hubby tries to fight it sometimes, but always comes around. I talked him into a second tank...so I have the original 54g that I turned reef and he has a new (used from Craigslist) 180g fowlr. Also talked into Radions for the reef :)

Rosesrblu1 said:
Yeah, we wives always win in the end. My hubby tries to fight it sometimes, but always comes around. I talked him into a second tank...so I have the original 54g that I turned reef and he has a new (used from Craigslist) 180g fowlr. Also talked into Radions for the reef :)

Haha this is true. Nice score on the Radions as well.

Here is the stand all painted. I am going to try to hang the door tonight. Have to see how I feel after work. First Sunday I have worked in five years, first Sunday the store has ever been opened in 8 years. D@m!! Corporate a$$ holes.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120708_143628.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120708_143628.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 90
Update: I got my FishNeedIt fixture in today! :dance:

First impressions: Good looking fixture, wish it was black instead of silver, like the fish cutouts on top, the details are not as refined as nicer fixtures ( rough edges inside, reflector was dented/crushed in two spots, some of the screws have really sharp edges where the builder stripped the heads, just little details)

Now onto the legs. I am trying to figure out how you are supposed to mount them. Anyone who has one of these fixtures: does it not come with some screws to put the legs on? I had one screw rolling around the inside of the fixture when I opened it but there are none for the legs, which clearly have a spot for them. Do I need to go dig some out or is there a secret chamber in the packaging that I missed?

Thanks for the help, pics to come when I get the legs mounted.

Wish I could help. My Radions are still rigged on the top of my tank till I can build a corner shelf like canopy to hang them from. Have the hanging kit, just need to build and paint what to hang them on. Was going to hang from the ceiling, but it's solid concrete.

See if you can find screws to fit. Everyone has a box or bag of loose screws. I'm sure you,can find something.

Wish I could help. My Radions are still rigged on the top of my tank till I can build a corner shelf like canopy to hang them from. Have the hanging kit, just need to build and paint what to hang them on. Was going to hang from the ceiling, but it's solid concrete.

See if you can find screws to fit. Everyone has a box or bag of loose screws. I'm sure you,can find something.

Well most people have a box of screws....but not this guy! :facepalm:

Take it to home depot. You,can find some. Haha. My dad gave me a starter box about 20 years ago when I first moved out.

Got my base rock from reefrocks.net. Very good looking rock. I ordered 15 lbs. But received about 20 lbs. I have to get something to help hold the rock together. Also looking for egg crate. Where did you all buy yours? Don't really want to put rock directly on other glass. I get a 3 day weekend from work this weekend so I will be setting up the tank then. Lots of pics to come this weekend!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120710_210604.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120710_210604.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 133
You should be able to find egg crate in the lighting section of your hardware store.

Congrats on the rock, I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

reefrunner69 said:
You should be able to find egg crate in the lighting section of your hardware store.

Congrats on the rock, I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

I have checked my Lowes and they did not have it. I will try Ace in the morning. Playing with the rockwork right now actually while the wife watches a chick flick lol.

Which is your fav?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120710_221226.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120710_221226.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 115
  • ForumRunner_20120710_221244.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120710_221244.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 99
  • ForumRunner_20120710_221255.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120710_221255.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 112
Back