20 Long Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolfsblood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently picked up a 20 long during the dollar per gallon sale. Currently I have a 16g bowfront FOWLR tank that I will be replacing. The options for the 16 just weren't there and the small footprint didn't help in the rock scape department. I am using an Aquaclear 70 and building a refugium that will house Chaeto. I will be attaching a DIY fixture to the back of the filter that will minimize light spillage and eliminate the need for a big ugly clip on light sitting above the filter. I will document the components needed and steps so that you can build one too!

Here is what you will need:
Aquaclear of whatever size you choose. I went with the 70 which came in at about $40.
4G Old Work gang box-$6
Porcelain socket with die cast cap(this type will be the easiest to mount in the box but other will work too)-$4
Power Cord(I went with a premade one. You can make your own and save a couple bucks)-$6
Velcro-$5
CFL spiral lights 6500K-$10 for a two pack
All of these parts can be purchased at HD or Lowes.

This is the basic idea

You will need to drill a hole in the bottom of the gang box. 1" should be sufficient. This is pretty easy to get through so if you don't have a holesaw a standard wood core bit will work.
If you bought the socket with the cap you will have this piece and be able to sandwich the box between the cap and socket. You will have to purchase longer screws for it however.

So now I have the light wired up. Like I said earlier you will need longer screws if you purchase the same things I did. The screws I used are 6/32x1".

The first thing you will want to do is run your cord through the cap piece and then through the hole in the box. Strip the ends of the wire and attach them to the socket. If you are using a polarized plug (one side is bigger than the other) figure out which wire goes to your hot side(the smaller prong of the plug). The hot side will need to be attached to the brass screw on the socket, the other wire will attach to the silver screw. make sure they are secure and that the exposed wires are not touching each other. Screw in the bulb and test it. If it works you can now screw the socket and cap together sandwiching the gang box in between. You will end up with something like this.

You can see where I put the velcro. This will attach to pieces placed on the filter and allow for easy access for bulb changes.

And that's it for setting up the light. I am still debating spraypainting the gang box black so it is a little less obvious. I am going to paint the side of my Aquaclear also. This tank will be in my room and I want almost no light spillage since this will be on all night.

Next I will be spray painting a black background. I am using Krylon paint because they come with a nice tip that disperses paint evenly.

Start by masking of the plastic frame. You can also mask off the bottom of the tank using some newspaper but this isn't totally necessary.

Next you will want to mask off the sides. There will be quite a bit of overspray so this step is a must.

Now place the tank with the lid on the ground to block any paint from getting in. Clean the surface you are painting. Vinegar diluted with water in a spray bottle and a clean terry cloth works well for this. You will want to start spraying about 6"-8" away from the tank. Use nice even motions to lay down your first coat. Don't spend to much time in one place, you don't want the paint to pool and run. If you are not super confident with spraying you can hold the can farther away from the tank. The coverage won't be as good so you will have to make more passes but you will minimize any drips.

Hoping to have some time on Wednesday to do the second part which will be cutting up the filter basket and gluing the pieces to the filter.

Had to put the AC70 Impeller back in it. My 50 made a horrible rattling noise and the 70 made a screeching whine with the impellers swapped :\ Now they are both quiet again.
Got 50 gallons worth of Instant Ocean salt today for $3...gotta love that Petco hookup:cool:

With some help from 54seaweed I got my top started today. Love the way it looks especially since my tank is about 5' off the ground you cant see a top at all. Fits totally flush with the rim.

Looks good - I need to re-do the top for my tank. I am going to give the DIY screen top a go just going to hit up HD and look for the parts necessary from brs and take if from there. I currently have the egg crates but from adding and removing stuff there's holes and cut outs around the perimeter of the tank it doesn't look as clean anymore . Plus, I can see the entire top now that I have my LEDs hung instead of my t5s mounted on top.

I would like to see how you make the screen. I'm going to do the same for my tank

Tank is up and running. Can't get a good pic with my iphone camera. Doesn't really matter anyway since this thread generated virtually zero interest.

Ya I am going to. This is my first open top tank so I wanted to be able to easily check the temp at the start so I could kinda get an idea of how stable it was going to be.

I like them both. I'm going to get a toadstool leather next. I just don't know where to put it I heard it grows really fast and gets huge. Also, don't want it to lean on the glass anywhere bc then I won't be able to clean it with my magnafloat lol

It does seem to be growing pretty quickly. Im not positive but it seems like it has grown almost and inch since I got it a little over 2 weeks ago. I got it for $15 because it had detached from its base rock in the store. I just set it on top of the little rock it came with and it was stuck to it after like 2 days. Dunno why they didn't think of that but I guess that's a chain store for you.

This is a pretty good setup and I like this. I got 3 105watt cfls 6500k and I'm wondering if they will work or just one or two idk. But I wanna do corals

Back
Top Bottom