20g stocking advice/opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alan79

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all. I have a pretty heavily planted 20g. It had a comet in it which i rehomed to a 30g, the next in a succession of larger tanks to come. 2 in there for now both under 6 inches and heavily filtered and well planted. They seem happy enough with the extra 1' swimming room and 50% extra depth. Virtually the same amount of water for each fish as they were in separately but a massive amount of added swimming space.

So I have a cycled 20g that needed fish :dance:. What i plan to stock in it.
10 Neon Tetras (currently being drip acclimated so my tank stays cycled)
5 Kuhli Loaches (picking up tomorrow)
Will get another Kuhli eventually, he thinks he has 5 at the moment.

And will add either of these next week.
10 Harlequin Rasboras which brings my filtration to 110%
2 Blue Rams (95% filtration) so maybe 1 more Kuhli too.

I did want to add a Siamese algae eater to destroy my BBA but i've had troubles with them and Comets before and didn't want to let one near my Tetras.

So does anyone foresee any problems with this stocking list? I aimed for a small community tank and think this would work. I do worry a little about the Rams eating Tetras. AqAdvisor never mentioned it as an issue. I could also opt for some baby Bristlenoses but have read they are poo factories. I also worry that they may get territorial with the kuhlis.

The first two options are in concrete already. The Kuhli's love to swim into a vase the LFS has so they will add it tomorrow to gather them where they like to hide. I was happy for him to do it this way so the Kuhli's don't get as stressed. I have two spare 20's and John from the LFS lined up a free 20g that he's been maintaining at a pub :thanks:. So in future i may do a Kuhli only 20g if they don't become social with lights on in this setup.

So what would people recomend from my two options (10 Harlequin Ras or a Blue Ram pair) or would something else make the tank pop? They have some nice Cories i was eying off too. I will decide on finalizing my stocklist in about a week. I will take a notepad down tomorrow and write a list of the other stock that i like. I wouldn't mind something a little larger and with more than one color but the Rasboras are cute too. I know Aqadvisor gives good results in general but would really like to hear from people with more experience than me.

Back
Top Bottom