20gal low-moderate lighting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brybell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, I am a newbie, and I got a aqueon 20 gal kit. So far ive already replaced the filter to an aqua clear 50.

I also want to replace the lighting, because the t8 15w is not gonna cut it.

I do not want to have to add C02, and would like to maintain low to moderate light plants.

Id like to spend less than $100, would LED be best? or a double t5?

I thought this may be good: Finnex 24" 1 x 36 Watt PC Fixture Includes Bulb | eBay

Or this: Finnex Ray II LED Aquarium Light 16 18 24 inch 7000K 10000K Actinic Planted | eBay

Please let me know your opinions. I am also unsure about how this will fit with the current hood I have. Can I somehow mount it where the light is now? The hood I have has the little flip up part in the front, the middle has a glass peice where the light sits etc.

I would like to be able to get the light and just put it on it without have to spend more for a new top or something.

thanks!! :thanks: :fish2:

That one and the ray 2 are pretty similar if I remember correctly the monster ray had wider angle LEDs fo better light spread and I think the par rating was slightly higher but I don't remember. I'll see if I can find where I read the comparison of the 2 and post a link for ya.

If you're specifically targeting lower light plants like anubias, java fern, java moss, and crypts you could just do a single bulb T5 such as: Amazon.com: Hagen Glo T5 Ho Linear Fluorescent Lighting System, Single, 24-Inch: Pet Supplies.

I have that light on my 20h and I've grown the aforementioned plants very easily and also plants such as watersprite, cabomba, bacopa carolina, bacopa australis and fissidens fontanus. This was with basic ferts and daily dosing of Excel on a 7.5 hour photoperiod. It really just depends on the plants you're interested in. A Ray2 might be a little overkill without pressurized CO2 but would be a good option if you want to trying a bit higher-light needing plants in the future. Will you be doing any sort of ferts and/or a liquid carbon source such as Excel or glutaraldehyde? This will play a big factor in your light choice regardless of your exclusion of pressurized CO2.

If you're specifically targeting lower light plants like anubias, java fern, java moss, and crypts you could just do a single bulb T5 such as: Amazon.com: Hagen Glo T5 Ho Linear Fluorescent Lighting System, Single, 24-Inch: Pet Supplies.

I have that light on my 20h and I've grown the aforementioned plants very easily and also plants such as watersprite, cabomba, bacopa carolina, bacopa australis and fissidens fontanus. This was with basic ferts and daily dosing of Excel on a 7.5 hour photoperiod. It really just depends on the plants you're interested in. A Ray2 might be a little overkill without pressurized CO2 but would be a good option if you want to trying a bit higher-light needing plants in the future. Will you be doing any sort of ferts and/or a liquid carbon source such as Excel or glutaraldehyde? This will play a big factor in your light choice regardless of your exclusion of pressurized CO2.

ya id get the finnex fugeray, its a lil less powerful.

the 'usa current led plus' looks pretty good.

i have api leaf zone. i wouldnt mind dosing a co2 supplement i guess..

right now i have a few swords, anubias nana and sone crypts. i dont really like the look of the java fern, or at least the ones ive seen.

im leaning more toward LED I think..

Hey and thanks for the reply!!

I run Fugerays on my ten and five gals and love them. In terms of the the java fern I'm a big fan of the "Philippine" variant -- it looks incredible in very large clumps and is a better size for smaller tanks.

API leaf zone is just iron and potassium so you'd want to supplement with something that provides a more comprehensive collection of nutrients and trace elements. Most people couple API leaf zone with Seachem Comprehensive and dose them together. A liquid carbon supplement is highly recommended too. Seachem Excel is an easy one, although you can save money by just buying glutaraldehyde too. In the beginning I'd say just get familiar with the Excel and then later you can make the switch.

What kind of substrate do you have, just out of curiosity?

I run Fugerays on my ten and five gals and love them. In terms of the the java fern I'm a big fan of the "Philippine" variant -- it looks incredible in very large clumps and is a better size for smaller tanks.

API leaf zone is just iron and potassium so you'd want to supplement with something that provides a more comprehensive collection of nutrients and trace elements. Most people couple API leaf zone with Seachem Comprehensive and dose them together. A liquid carbon supplement is highly recommended too. Seachem Excel is an easy one, although you can save money by just buying glutaraldehyde too. In the beginning I'd say just get familiar with the Excel and then later you can make the switch.

What kind of substrate do you have, just out of curiosity?

if i remember correctly it is caribsea floramax.

I bought the Current LED+.

Good deal on dr. fosters and smith, couldnt pass it up.

I think it will be perfect for my low-light needs.

Back
Top Bottom