20gal tank something missing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Infamouz88

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon freshwater tank and wanted some ideas and criticism (don't be mean lol) I haven't had time to buy a background, what would you suggest, blue or black? Or? Also better looking plants you think would be nicer and other decor, driftwood? I like the way my substrate look with the blue led, sprinkling other color was a thought but don't think it will look that great in regular light. So please guys let me know what you think.

ForumRunner_20120909_190830.jpg

ForumRunner_20120909_190901.jpg

ForumRunner_20120909_190949.jpg

ForumRunner_20120909_191201.jpg

leggey said:
More plants, maybe try some bamboo ?

I thought bamboo couldn't be submerged? Besides that what are nice low light plants? My led lighting isn't made for all plants

The bamboo that is commonly found in an aquarium setting is called lucky bamboo. It is not a true aquatic plant although often sold as one. I have had bamboo in my tanks that I ended up taking out due to the plant dying and planted it in a pot. It has now grown three times it's size. If fully submerged in water the plant will die.

butterfly_koi said:
The bamboo that is commonly found in an aquarium setting is called lucky bamboo. It is not a true aquatic plant although often sold as one. I have had bamboo in my tanks that I ended up taking out due to the plant dying and planted it in a pot. It has now grown three times it's size. If fully submerged in water the plant will die.

I've seen it at petsmart and they told me that it has to stick out of the water in order for it to live. It looks pretty neat, it twirls at the top. I just can't seem to find good low light plants in my LFS.

If you want ot keep the blue substrate I'd go with a black background. I think the blue would be too much on the back too.

I'm not sure what you have in there but some good low light plants are anubias, java fern and java moss, most cryptocoryns(I'm sure I spelled that wrong) I believe and water sprite is a good one too. I've actually heard great things about water sprite and growth in low light. Most people find a medium to high light is too much and the plant becomes hard to manage from what I've read.

I have bamboo one of my tanks and it does fine. It rooted and continues to sprout leaves - its been years now. Water sprout is a great low light plant. It grows like crazy. Jave moss is another good one. If you have a petco near you they sell "shrunken heads" they are very cute clay heads with plants already attached, all of the ones I have seen grow in low light. I got one with the moss for hair and it is doing wonderfully in my low light lank.

tamtam said:
If you want ot keep the blue substrate I'd go with a black background. I think the blue would be too much on the back too.

I'm not sure what you have in there but some good low light plants are anubias, java fern and java moss, most cryptocoryns(I'm sure I spelled that wrong) I believe and water sprite is a good one too. I've actually heard great things about water sprite and growth in low light. Most people find a medium to high light is too much and the plant becomes hard to manage from what I've read.

Having a black background won't light up darker color fish like my black Molly or pleco?
And I have java moss ball and an anubia. Have three other plant that I forgot their name but two of them are almost gone, fishes love to eat the grass looking one and this taller light green one. I will look into the plants you suggested.

Back
Top Bottom