20Long planted build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwh0818

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 20g long that I wanna plant. Its gonna be extreme planted. I need to know what substrate to do first. Pfs? Flourite? Flora max?

I recommend ecocomplete or flourite if this is your first tank. Both get the job done. Or you could go dirted, or kitty litter (organic), or the best of the best ADA aquasoil

There's nothing wrong with Floramax. It's just the dry version of Eco Complete. I use Eco or Dirt capped with Eco in all my tanks and am very satisfied with it.

Flora max is like the cheap version of eco complete. And eco complete is the cheap version of aquasoil (not that its a bad product). It breaks down super quick and has a very low nutrient content. It's not worth the money.

Flora max is like the cheap version of eco complete. And eco complete is the cheap version of aquasoil (not that its a bad product). It breaks down super quick and has a very low nutrient content. It's not worth the money.

So could I do pfs with the same results? What dirt? What soil? I cant do eco or ada. Not in my budget

Miracle grow organic potting mix is one, or mineralized topsoil, but that is a bit messy.

Search 'dirted tank' and there should be good hits.

Sand is another option, but you would need a source of nutrients like root tabs. But if you buy beginner plants that should not be a problem.

Im not familiar with the cat litter technique, but from the tanks I have seen it will work!

Can someone explain the cat litter way? Does the organic miracle grow need mineralized?

Nope MGOPM can just be plopped in. But usually you want to sift it for large chunks of stuff. There is a great thread on that in the general section of thplantedtank.net right now

Nope MGOPM can just be plopped in. But usually you want to sift it for large chunks of stuff. There is a great thread on that in the general section of thplantedtank.net right now

Thanks. Anyone know if a 20 long is too big for a betta?

Do I need to rinse it? What can I put on top of it? Can I mix it with PFS?

You can find a light for a lot cheaper. Just go to home depot or menards and get 2 CFL bulbs and some clamp work lights and your set.

You can find a light for a lot cheaper. Just go to home depot or menards and get 2 CFL bulbs and some clamp work lights and your set.

Yeah I know. Its a tube light so I may just get a 6500k 2ft tube for it. Thanks for that link. Im gonna dump it in and cap with pfs! Very helpful link

Those clamp works lights are cheap also, I just saw them on sale at menards for 6 each, plus bulbs.

Yeah clip lights are cheap unless designed for a planted tank because their reflectors suck

I wouldn't say that at all. Having a CFL mounted vertically in a dome style clip light generates a substantial amount of PAR, more than enough for a high tech setup depending on bulb wattage. Hoppy, on The Planted Tank, did a thread on the use of CFLs in dome reflectors. It was very surprising. Ive seen people run beautiful high tech tanks with just clamp style lights, or even the Zoo Med Deep Dome. Here is the link

Nevermind. I can't seem to find it right now.

Back
Top Bottom