220 Gallon Reef-Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is your DSB in your DT, sump, or both? I am asking both of you, carey and purevil, just because I am following both of your threads and want to see what you'll end up doing (considering you are pros and I am the newbie!)

:thanks:

Since I am also following both their threads too, I thought I would chime in too... I have a DSB in both of DT and sump. I'm also a newbie, I'm only on my second SW tank and my first one was over 5 years ago and only had it running for 6 months before I had to move. But in my first tank as well I had a DSB in both.

Since I am also following both their threads too, I thought I would chime in too... I have a DSB in both of DT and sump. I'm also a newbie, I'm only on my second SW tank and my first one was over 5 years ago and only had it running for 6 months before I had to move. But in my first tank as well I had a DSB in both.

Ironically, I just asked this exact question on another thread... to be specific, how much sand did you use? You might have more rock than I plan to start with, so I might need more sand. I figure HALF of what you used will be safe :)

So I have an idea of how deep the sand should be in the sump (6 in or so) but what would the standard be for a dsb in the tank? 3" 4"?

I'll be aiming for 4 inches in my 125g, my phone app for calculations told me 259 lbs for 4". What about the fuge below? Is it normal to have deeper sand in there?

I always make sure to "sandscape" lol I like to have some variations of depth, not less than 4 inches anywhere in the tank though.

Basically anything more then 4" has such little water movement that it's not that much of a bonus. Just go deeper in some spots for looks that's all... and in a sump, 4" across the whole thing is fine.

And the verdict is that pool filter sand or play sand is out because of lack of calcium that would be needed for reef growth? Is that what I am hearing?

Can I put crushed coral/oyster shell as the first 2", or would that not have the same effect as a 4" DSB?

The guy helping me with my setup said he noticed shifting of his rocks, even though he put the rocks first, sand second... he suggested using CC or OS as a base to give it less movement and brought a 5g bucket of it for me to use! Hard to pass up a free stash of substrate!

I don't use anything but sand, nitrate issues can arise using the CC. Some people have no issue with it, but I did. I wouldn't say you can't use play sand, but you would have to dose calcium, I am going to stick with the aragonite.

I am going to stick with the aragonite, and thanks to Mr. X I found a protein skimmer with a better pump than the Reef Octopus that was the same price.

Original Xtreme Skimmers

I think I am going with the Xtreme 200.

the reef octpopus worked so well on my 55 i just desided to get a bigger one for the 180G no use fixing what isnt broke! lol

I like the reef octopus, but for the same money I get a bigger chamber and a better pump. I certainly think that reef octopus is still making a good product though.

No updates at this time for equipment, but at the request of Carey, I am posting my proposed stock list. I have pretty much finalized it, but I have two questions.
First, would a mated pair of gold stripped maroons be aggressive toward a blenny, dragonet, or other small docile fish?
Second, on my list I have a regal blue tang, but I really want a powder blue instead. They are listed as being extremely aggressive toward other tangs. If I introduced the powder and yellow tangs at the same time would I be able to avoid fighting?

Now for the "Final" list:
Fish-
1 regal blue tang
3 yellow tangs
2 gold stripped maroons (mated pair)
1 Japanese Borbonius anthias
1 midas blenny
10 green chromis
1 mandarin dragonet (won't add until the tank has been running for 1 year)
1 flame hawkfish
1 foxface Lo

Inverts:
5 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 blue linckia star
2 tuxedo urchins
2 maxima clams, blue
2 crocea clams
3-4 feather dusters

I'm not 100% on the corals I want to keep yet. Also this list doesn't include CUC. I will have plenty of hermits and snails. Let me know what you guys think, I am open to suggestions.

List looks great! I think it's a well balanced and a colorful and active proposal. :-D

Nothing is more boring that having no movement but with the tangs and chromis I think you will have lots of activity!

I'm really trying to make sure I have a lot of color and diversity. My first list was way too yellow, lol. My wife made sure I knew it too.

No updates at this time for equipment, but at the request of Carey, I am posting my proposed stock list. I have pretty much finalized it, but I have two questions.
First, would a mated pair of gold stripped maroons be aggressive toward a blenny, dragonet, or other small docile fish?
Second, on my list I have a regal blue tang, but I really want a powder blue instead. They are listed as being extremely aggressive toward other tangs. If I introduced the powder and yellow tangs at the same time would I be able to avoid fighting?

Now for the "Final" list:
Fish-
1 regal blue tang
3 yellow tangs
2 gold stripped maroons (mated pair)
1 Japanese Borbonius anthias
1 midas blenny
10 green chromis
1 mandarin dragonet (won't add until the tank has been running for 1 year)
1 flame hawkfish
1 foxface Lo

Inverts:
5 skunk cleaner shrimp
1 blue linckia star
2 tuxedo urchins
2 maxima clams, blue
2 crocea clams
3-4 feather dusters

I'm not 100% on the corals I want to keep yet. Also this list doesn't include CUC. I will have plenty of hermits and snails. Let me know what you guys think, I am open to suggestions.

i'm probably gonna steal most of this list btw lol

I spent some time on it, after reading a post by mr. X I have eliminated the powder blue. Still wondering about the maroons though.

I have a maroon (went to the fish only to make room for my snowflakes in my reef) he wasn't aggressive towards my scooter or goby. Only thing he didn't like was the tang swimming too close to his nem.

Back
Top Bottom