220g planted-newly rescaped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a ton in my 5.5 gallon. It all grew from one small specimen I got about 12 years ago. Even put three in my 20. Have maybe 15 or more in the 5. Lovely plant.

I'm getting 5 plants to start and am planning on putting them right in the front but since you have them do you think they will get lost in the grand scheme of things even in such a predominant spot?

Rivercats said:
I'm getting 5 plants to start and am planning on putting them right in the front but since you have them do you think they will get lost in the grand scheme of things even in such a predominant spot?

Not at all. They may be small but nothing else looks like them. They can get lost (covered) if they're near moss because they're so small but otherwise they always seem to make their presence known. I always tie em down or pop them into a crack in driftwood. I would never get rid of them. After so many years growing the little suckers I still love em. Even the shrimp seem fond of them.

Rivercats said:
Thought I'd give a quick update... all the stem plants that were short in the back, which was mostly Rotala macrandra has grown up (several times now-been doing alot of trimming on it) to cover the background. Also am getting in some Cabomba Furcata,
Proserpinaca Palustris, and Nana Petite Anubia in next friday and hopefully this will finish my plant additions. The hardest thing for me has been learning how long plants take to grow back in after trimmings so that when I want to take new pic's everything is grown in just the way I want at the height I want like you see in show tanks. Am planning on posting some new pic's in a few weeks.

Cool,look.forward to the pics :)

Rivercats said:
Here's my current stock below. I changed it around alittle. I moved my 12 Diamonds into a planted tank in hopes of them breeding. I also moved the other 3 pairs of various rams to other tanks, then added some cardinals and the Rachovii Killifish. I'm pretty happy with the stocking list now and only am hoping to up the Cardinals to 21 also. And you want to know the funny part is even with that many cory's, the only time I see all of them is at feeding time. With so many plants they are the Houdini's of the tank. The Julii's and Panda's are the only ones that scooter around all areas and levels of the tank all day.

10 Veil and Super Veil Angelfish
21 Rummy nose tetras
14 Cardinal tetras
2 German Blue Rams
2 Electric Blue Rams
2 Gold Rams
3 Pairs of Rachovii Killifish
3 YoYo loaches
5 Corydoras sterbai
5 Corydoras panda
5 Corydoras agassizi
6 Corydoras melini
6 Corydoras julli
12 Threadfin Rainbow Fish
9 Longfin White Cloud Mountian Minnows
18 Otocinclus Catfish
3 Whiptail Cats (Farlowella gracilis)
1 Longfin Albino Bristlenose Pleco

Wow an impressive stock list and plants,what a gorgeous tank like i sed before....i really love it well done !!! I love cory's :)

Just a little update.... my last plants came in Friday. I added Petite Nana Anubia (5), Cabomba Furcata, and Proserpinaca palustris which came in its emmersed form so will have to wait for it to change to its immersed form and then change from its green color to orange under my high lights. I am extremely pleased with how the tank looks now even tho these plants are small. BUT big shocker today the Cabomba Furcata is flowering!!! There is one perfect little purple flower on one stem and it appears all the stems I planted, which was about 12, are going to flower. What a shocker. I am going to get pic's once my daughter gets home and tells me where the camera is. Can't wait to share as this is a new one even for me.

Just a little update.... my last plants came in Friday. I added Petite Nana Anubia (5), Cabomba Furcata, and Proserpinaca palustris which came in its emmersed form so will have to wait for it to change to its immersed form and then change from its green color to orange under my high lights. I am extremely pleased with how the tank looks now even tho these plants are small. BUT big shocker today the Cabomba Furcata is flowering!!! There is one perfect little purple flower on one stem and it appears all the stems I planted, which was about 12, are going to flower. What a shocker. I am going to get pic's once my daughter gets home and tells me where the camera is. Can't wait to share as this is a new one even for me.

Oh cool,cannot wait to see the photo :)

I've never seen that either. Are they partially above the water? Can't wait to see it.

No they are underwater. The stems are pretty short after I cut them down and planted them. My daughter took pic's and is going to load them off her phone onto my computer in a few minutes. Unfortunely the flower is partly closed in the picture as I'm assuming they close at night, but you can still see it.

Rivercats said:
No they are underwater. The stems are pretty short after I cut them down and planted them. My daughter took pic's and is going to load them off her phone onto my computer in a few minutes. Unfortunely the flower is partly closed in the picture as I'm assuming they close at night, but you can still see it.

Your tank must be in a VERY healthy/happy state. This is crazy rare. Awe inspiring.

The kicker is I only added them on Friday. The pic's are getting fixed by my daughter right now and I hope you can see the flower, it's little but when it was fully open it was purple with a yellowish center. Shame the tank is alittle hazy but after planting and shifting things Friday and then I have the FX5 off for a week and got in the parts yesterday and got it running but added new bio media and today got the bacterial haze which should be gone by tomorrow or Monday. I'm going to get more pic's of the flowers as they open.

I'm posting one picture on here and will make an album with a link to the rest so you can see all the new plant pic's and other goodies.... so here it is, Cabomba Furcara in bloom underwater.

Attachments

• cabomba furcara flower 2.jpg
    cabomba furcara flower 2.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 109
Here's a link to the album with all of today pic's. Sorry for the haze but after doing some ripping out and replanting and then having my Fluval FX5 out for over a week and then adding all new media including new bio-media I'm having a bit of a haze due to bacteral bloom. I'm hoping it will be gone in the next day or two.

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g 12-1-2012

Insane. Keeps getting better and better. First rate.

Wait until everything is grown out and I get some pic's when just the T5HO's are on. Those halides are unforgiving... washing out the color in pic's and making a glare on everything. Figure it's going to be around 3-4 weeks to where the tank is grown in the way I want it. But I finally feel like I'm closing in on home base.

Back
Top Bottom