24gallon JBJ nano cube reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrmoncal02

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am new to the site, but wanted to start a thread so I can keep track of my new 24 gallon JBJ nano cube. I have been lurking for about two months and set the tank up one month ago. I should have joined and started this thread then, but better late than never

The tank has finally finished the cycle from what I can tell. All my parameters have leveled off and with WCs I have gotten nitrates to barely detectable levels. Now that I am starting to think about hat to put in there I would love some input. Currently there are only 5 hermits in Ty tank. I realize that a cuc. Is not necessary, but I wanted something to watch. Only live rock was getting boring.

Today I picked up my first piece or coral for the tank, a maze brain coral frag that I got for $20 from my lfs. This is my first real experience with keeping coral, besides a few polyps and mushrooms. Again, any input or pointers are appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 156
More tank shots

Here is the view from the left side, which is next to my bed. It's the first thing I see in the morning. The shell is a reminder of my gf. You can kinda see the rock arch, which is my favorite part of the aquascaping for me. On my phone I seem to only b able to upload one picture at a time so I will have to make multiple posts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 144
Sloppy epoxy, then decided to change the rock work so now I have that pink eyesore in front. Oh well. Hoping something grows over
It quickly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 145
The other side of the tank. The two purple pieces were the live rock that I started the cycle with. The rest of he rock is leftover dry rock from an old 75 gallon which is no longer running.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 139
New FTS 2/2/14. Removed two pieces of rock to open up flow and added new coralsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391402401.308146.jpg
Left side of the tank, rock arch with green mushroom on one side, and Zoas on the otherImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391402504.727683.jpg
Right side of the tank. Can see torch coral, green star polyps and brain coralImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391402547.770044.jpg
Green mushroom coral, fastest grower so far. Is it about to split into another?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391402607.647778.jpg
A couple of hitch hiking tube worms on a piece of live rock. The red/brown one is my favorite, looks like a hand grabbing for food :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391402649.695773.jpg

Also in the side if the arch I have a red mushroom, which started off the same size as the green, but has not grown much ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391403074.697024.jpg
Close up of the polypsImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391403179.124437.jpg
Zoas close up ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391403228.253400.jpg

Whole left side shot. Little bit of hard to reach algae. Also, you can see how bare the back of the tank is. Any ideas for something cool to fill that space would be great. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391404182.060316.jpg
The view through the arch ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391404242.008044.jpg
Last one for tonight... Shot of both mushrooms on either side of the arch ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391404782.310074.jpg

Still have algae even though my nitrates and phosphates are very low. Could I benefit from growing some macro algae? Perhaps even in the DT? Any other stocking or equipment advice? Thanks for looking!

I was struggling with algae so I made a simple scrubber for phosgard! Made a big difference!

Back
Top Bottom