25 gallon Brichardi tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evaunitone

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 25 gallon tall aquarium with sand and large rocks to replicate a tanganyikan setup. The pH is about 8 and the water is pretty hard. I had two brichardis in there, both of which were about 2 inches long maybe. One was almost definately male and the other female. Today I found the female dead. I can't say for sure if she was killed by the male. Any advice on stocking options? I'm hoping to have a species only tank, but how many more brichardis can I put in there? Several? none? I'm open to whatever. I'm hoping to keep the brichardi (and any other new tankmates) in that tank for good. Let me know if that is posisble. I've heard brichardis can get up to 6 inches long, and that seems too big for a 25 gallon, but let me know. Thanks!

Evaunitone said:
I have a 25 gallon tall aquarium with sand and large rocks to replicate a tanganyikan setup. The pH is about 8 and the water is pretty hard. I had two brichardis in there, both of which were about 2 inches long maybe. One was almost definately male and the other female. Today I found the female dead. I can't say for sure if she was killed by the male. Any advice on stocking options? I'm hoping to have a species only tank, but how many more brichardis can I put in there? Several? none? I'm open to whatever. I'm hoping to keep the brichardi (and any other new tankmates) in that tank for good. Let me know if that is posisble. I've heard brichardis can get up to 6 inches long, and that seems too big for a 25 gallon, but let me know. Thanks!

I think they only get 4" without looking them up and need a 3 foot long tank. I'm not to sure how long a 25 is?? If it was me and just had to keep an african I would go with one of these. But I'd pick some of the smallest ones cause I'm sure a 25 gallon isn't that big.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=14

There are dozens of species of shell dweller that could go into a tank of this size perfectly, like lamporlogus multifasciatus, L. brevis, or L. ocellatus "gold" (one of my personal favorites). Other than that, there's some west african dwarves, and then the south american dwarves. 25 gallons just isn't enough for brichardi IMO

There are dozens of species of shell dweller that could go into a tank of this size perfectly, like lamporlogus multifasciatus, L. brevis, or L. ocellatus "gold" (one of my personal favorites). Other than that, there's some west african dwarves, and then the south american dwarves. 25 gallons just isn't enough for brichardi IMO

I agree 100% with young GF's recommendations, plus there are others such as smaller fish in the Cryptoheros genus like panamensis or nanoluteus. Or if your looking to stick with tangs a pair in the Julidochromis such as ornatus.

Most species of brichardi are not terribly colorful but one of the main reasons I kept them was their interesting behavior in breeding. The older siblings will care for newly hatched fry creating a social colony, this is one of the most fascinating behaviors of these fish you'll never get to experience in a small tank.

Back
Top Bottom