25 gallon cube build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

etemp714

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting up a build in a 18x18x18 tank. Currently im building a stand that will house a sump. I bought a cheap glass 10 gallon from petco. But I'm curious what's the best way to set this up. Should I set it up with baffles? I'm gonna run a skimmer, but I'm curious how I can maximize my filtration.

image-3694250212.jpg

Yes I would do baffles or you will end up with a lot of microbubbles in the return.

Home depot sells acrylic sheets, a cheap hand cutter, and some silicone caulk that bonds well to acrylic.

If you know the size of the skimmer and the size of your return pump, you can size the baffles accordingly, but I would definitely recommend baffles and a bubble trap.

What would end up being my mechanical filter? I really want to incorporate refugium if possible. What would be my best bet?

You could do a fuge if the skimmer and return are small enough, but it will be difficult in a 10 gal tank.

You don't really need mechanical filtration... just biological. Mechanical filtration tends to end up causing more nitrates then you want in the tank. If you could fit in a fuge with some chaeto and live rock rubble, it would be sufficient filtration along with the lr in the display tank and the skimmer.

I've read lr rubble is a factory for nitrates. Would it be better to just have live rock in there ? Where is a good place to buy dry rock for cheap?

Depends on the size of the rubble I guess.

The Reef Rock Store has great rock and sand at great prices. Several of us from AA have bought from them in the past few months.

Smaller pieces better or bigger the better ?

I'm using a eshopps 300 overflow with a 1 inch bulk head....so from tank to sump 1 inch pvc and then return line is 3/4 inch .......

used smaller for return so the pressure will be more and push out a little harder....im using a rio 1700 return pump tailored to 300 gph with a ball valve installed on return line...i also installed a ball valve on overflow just when i have to clean it i can cut water flow off.....

and i just put some rock i wanted out of my display in sump so i would have more room in DT so its preference doesn't really matter to much all live rock is live rock

Those baffles you put in had to be trimmed down a little bit shorter than 10" right?

Those baffles you put in had to be trimmed down a little bit shorter than 10" right?

yup exactly what i did was use a bbq lighter and heat the acrylic up and used a scissor to cut just a tad off and trim the side like that.....you can do like two inch sections and heat it up and trim it with a scissor ...it was tedious but came out perfect

I'm gonna eventually have to either pay someone or drill my tank. I bought a overflow kit from glass holes.com. I'm jittery just like everyone else... Is it not a big deal or should I have someone handle it?

etemp714 said:
I'm gonna eventually have to either pay someone or drill my tank. I bought a overflow kit from glass holes.com. I'm jittery just like everyone else... Is it not a big deal or should I have someone handle it?

It's not a big deal at all just a few simple steps I'm sure you can handle and If you need help let us know we will walk you thru it

Only reason I'm nervous is a couple cats at work are saying negative stuff... Maybe they weren't capable of doing it but I'm getting alot of bad feedback which is giving me first time anxiety.

Back
Top Bottom