.25 ppm ammonia in cycled tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
Today I changed my filter cartridge in my aquarium and I did everything that I was told to do (running it under hot water and swirling it in dirty water with old cartridge). As part of the routine I checked ph, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I came up with:

ammonia: .25 ppm
nitrites: 0
nitrates: 5ppm
ph: 7.7

Is this normal for a cycled tank or bad? I just want to be sure. Thanks!

Hello all,
Today I changed my filter cartridge in my aquarium and I did everything that I was told to do (running it under hot water and swirling it in dirty water with old cartridge). As part of the routine I checked ph, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I came up with:

Well that's normally what happens when.you change your cartridge. Don't change it again unless its falling apart because it holds all the bacteria that help keep your tank established. So your gonna see a mini cycle now which shouldn't last long at all but next time just take your cartridge out and rinse it in a bucket of tank water to preserve your bacteria

I was told the cartridge had carbon in it so that's why I changed it. Do I need to check the levels everyday again? As in could it jump up even more?

I was told the cartridge had carbon in it so that's why I changed it. Do I need to check the levels everyday again? As in could it jump up even more?

Yes it can jump up again and you don't need to change the pad just because it has carbon. The carbon is useless after a few weeks and will just sit there. When I get filter pads, I cut a super tiny hole in the bottom and shake the carbon out but just check your parameters daily and change water if it goes above .50ppm

If you'd like to run carbon you can cut a slit in the top and replace every couple weeks too!

Money/Fish Saving Tip

You don't need act. carbon unless you have trouble with a bad smell or you're removing medication. Get some cut to fit filter pad material and make your own pads. Here's a pic of what I got at Petsmart for $8. You can rinse it in tank water over and reuse many times. Don't let the filter companies pork your wallet with their BS. Your fish will benefit too from no more mini-cycles Good luck, OS.

Attachments

• DSCF1054.jpg
    DSCF1054.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 143
You don't need act. carbon unless you have trouble with a bad smell or you're removing medication. Get some cut to fit filter pad material and make your own pads. Here's a pic of what I got at Petsmart for $8. You can rinse it in tank water over and reuse many times. Don't let the filter companies pork your wallet with their BS. Your fish will benefit too from no more mini-cycles Good luck, OS.
+1 , I use the same thing in alllll my filters. Geez OS just thought some people might just like a splash of carbon;)

I knew you did. Hey Brook, when I posted that last picture it still would not show up on my end. It just says "attached thumbnail" and "rotate image" in text with no picture. Does the picture show up on your end? Brian.

I knew you did. Hey Brook, when I posted that last picture it still would not show up on my end. It just says "attached thumbnail" and "rotate image" in text with no picture. Does the picture show up on your end? Brian.
ya we got it out here in LaLa land. But than again I know exactly what you use so I could just be messing with you. But no your pic is good.. I have problems posting pics all the time, if it comes up blank I just click and make sure there's something there.

I think that's where quills and parchment were stored... I'll go get a cup of morning coffee now and exit stage left..

LOLOLOL, So.... You're old enough to know what quills and parchment are, eh Dela??
MMM I'm joining you right now with a good cup of evening coffee here. Cheers!
Brookster, do you drink coffee?

To the OP. Pillow or quilt batting material you can buy in bulk also works good in filters and is cheap. What kind of filter do you have? OS.

Last edited:
LOLOLOL, So.... You're old enough to know what quills and parchment are, eh Dela?? MMM I'm joining you right now with a good cup of evening coffee here. Cheers! Brookster, do you drink coffee? To the OP. Pillow or quilt batting material you can buy in bulk also works good in filters and is cheap. What kind of filter do you have? OS.
yes sir! I do enjoy a nice cup if Starbucks dark espresso roast every morning. As for late afternoon/evening coffee on a Saturday... Hmmm probably a drop or two if sambuca too ;)

Hello all,

I'm wondering if the small spike in Ammonia is really due to you changing the filter cartridge since you said you checked the parameters as "part of the routine". Do you mean you tested the parameters at the same time that you changed the cartridge? If so, I don't see how ammonia would show up that quickly. So could there be anything else causing an ammonia spike? Did you recently add fish? Anything die in the tank? Any chance your test results are wrong? I just want to make sure you're covering all of your bases here.

+1 on this. Make your own pads or just remove the carbon and add floss.
Never rinse it under running tap water, you will kill most of the bacteria you took so long to build up. Gently soak or rinse it with aquarium water and always leave it "dirty". You can call it a mini cycle but most likely since you soaked it in dirty filter water it will be ok in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom