25g bow front stock in plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pyro9097

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I'm getting nitrites during my fish less cycle and am starting to thing about what I what I want to stock. I am currently running the filter that came in the tank kit (top fin brand assume appropriately sized for the 25g tank) and will be adding an aqua clear 30 tonight. The plan is to eventually get the ac to be the only one and then when I have the resources to set up a hospital tank switch the topfin to there.

Please provide any suggestions or revisions to the following:

8 tetras - likely cardinals, I like the way they look, but am not set on them
6 corys - would love some advice as to which ones
1/2 rams - maybe electric blue or German blue?

Will this plan leave me overstocked?

I really appreciate any advice!! Thanks in advance:)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds like a great stock! For cories I'd check out panda, peppered or julii.

Stocking list looks fair, my only concern would be that Rams can be very difficult to keep depending on your situation. If you can keep parameters clean and stable (both water chemistry and temperature) and get the Rams from good stock (local breeders or Yunite at YUNITE | SDRAMS - Your No.1 Source of Quality German Blue Rams ), then you should be fine. If you don't have central AC and have issues with irregular temperatures in your house or unstable/non-optimal water chemistry coming from your tap, then I would opt for Bolivian Rams instead of the German Blues or Electric Blues. Bolivian Rams are much more forgiving and hardy.

Stocking list looks fair, my only concern would be that Rams can be very difficult to keep depending on your situation. If you can keep parameters clean and stable (both water chemistry and temperature) and get the Rams from good stock (local breeders or Yunite at YUNITE | SDRAMS - Your No.1 Source of Quality German Blue Rams ), then you should be fine. If you don't have central AC and have issues with irregular temperatures in your house or unstable/non-optimal water chemistry coming from your tap, then I would opt for Bolivian Rams instead of the German Blues or Electric Blues. Bolivian Rams are much more forgiving and hardy.

I plan on doing weekly water changes, have central air, and live in a major city so I imagine my water coming out of the tap is fairly stable. Regardless, I am very new to this so the hardier fish that still looks nice might be the better choice.

I read that for rams, the tank should be stable for a few months before adding. Is that correct? I was thinking get the tetras wait 2-3 weeks then the cories. Then I guess in like 4-6 months get the centerpiece fish (ram)?

Lastly, would it be ideal to get two rams or just one?

Also anything special I should look to include in the tank for any of these guys? Presently have 4 live plants, fake rock structure as the center piece ( I'll try to take a picture) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406597223.549444.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes, I'd definitely wait 2-3 months before adding the rams, even if going with the Bolivian Rams. Better safe than sorry :) I'd go with a male/female pair of rams personally, as this will bring out the most color and personality of them.

Decor wise, Rams can be fairly shy and skittish if kept in a sparsely decorated tank. I'd add more live plants as well as some more hidey holes. That way there's no competition between the cories and the Rams for shelter. Sparse decor also means that if the rams have a lover's quarrel then there are fewer places for the female to run away into so she can get a break from the male. The more nooks and crannies and the more broken lines of sight, the happier everyone will be.

Okay, sounds good. You hit the nail on the head, I would so much rather be safe than sorry!! I'll make a run down to the LFS and see what easy to care for plants I can get, as well as some more decor. I guess I'll just look for something there that has some cave-like structures.

Hopefully the cycle continues to move along, I would love to get the tetras in there so there is some movement in the tank. Thank you sooo much for all the advice!

I have four wild blue rams, all female, and they seriously could give a rats about anyone else in the tank, or anyone near the tank. They don't hide, they don't run away, they just float around like water based hummingbirds. Can't comment on Bolivians.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes, I'd definitely wait 2-3 months before adding the rams, even if going with the Bolivian Rams. Better safe than sorry :) I'd go with a male/female pair of rams personally, as this will bring out the most color and personality of them.

Sorry to take so long to get back about this.... I just looked up on AqAdvisor and it puts out a warning that says, "Warning: When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Cardinal Tetra." I am not looking for the fish to breed, however if it happens and it makes them happy, then great!

Is this something to be worried about and if so, what other options could I go with? I would be willing to change either the Bolivians or the Tetras.

They're fine with cardinals, they will run them off from the spawn site, but not much more than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry to take so long to get back about this.... I just looked up on AqAdvisor and it puts out a warning that says, "Warning: When Bolivian Ram starts to breed, they may become too aggressive to co-exist with Cardinal Tetra." I am not looking for the fish to breed, however if it happens and it makes them happy, then great!

Is this something to be worried about and if so, what other options could I go with? I would be willing to change either the Bolivians or the Tetras.

AqAdvisor tends to be VERY conservative about which fish can go together. It errs on the side of warning you of every possible outcome and lets you decide if you're willing to watch and manage the situation depending on how the fish personalities work out. Some Rams are totally chill with their tankmates outside of shooing them away from the nest. Some are more aggressive about how much of a "safety bubble" they want when breeding. Some cardinals are more determined than others to get at ram caviar. It really just depends! The majority of the time you should be safe :)

AqAdvisor tends to be VERY conservative about which fish can go together. It errs on the side of warning you of every possible outcome and lets you decide if you're willing to watch and manage the situation depending on how the fish personalities work out. Some Rams are totally chill with their tankmates outside of shooing them away from the nest. Some are more aggressive about how much of a "safety bubble" they want when breeding. Some cardinals are more determined than others to get at ram caviar. It really just depends! The majority of the time you should be safe :)

Alrighty then, once the tank is done cycling and then a few months have passed so if can get the rams, I'll just keep my eye on it. Thanks so much for the help!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom