25G stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFishDude

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So as my tank is finishing cycling I've been looking to my lfs and the big box stores for fish I'd like to see in my tank, but because apparently we have "really bad" water (their words not mine) they say my only options are Afr. Cichlids or Goldfish. Obviously cichlids in a 25 gallon tall would eventually end up back at the lfs or pet super store so that option is just silly. Goldfish?Really? Not really what I had in mind when I decided to set up and start a new hobby. My lfs seems put off by some of my newbish questions because I don't completely understand what the hell my GH/KH readings mean when it comes to fish keeping. And I really don't trust the dog/cat/fish/reptile/audio/video pro at Pet Co... So with that being said here are the readings as of today.

Low PH - 7.6
High PH - 8.4
Ammo - 0.25 ppm
No3 - 0
No2 - 0
Nh3/Nh4 - 0
Kh - 322.2
Gh - 393.8

It's not done cycling yet as I'm waiting to see some NitrAtes kick in, but I figured it's time to get ideas. So my skill vs. what I like. I'm new but I'm trying to get it right.

Really how hard is my water? Like I said these numbers mean nothing to me as I fully don't understand yet. I know about minerals in the water but is my water hard or is it soft?

Is it out of the question to want to have a pair or Bolivian Rams or Gouramis as a center piece with some Cory's and a shoal of Neon's?

Based on my numbers what would you do? It's a 25 gallon tall with a Penguin 350 filter and a 200w Aquatop heater, sand substrate, lava rock and lightly planted with Java Fern and Anubas. Driftwood coming soon. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The Driftwood will lower the PH in your water. Always test your water two days after you've filled your aquarium, since it takes time for gasses in the water to leave and lower the PH.

But at your low end of 7.6, you can probably try for normal tropical community fish. most have been bred to live in higher PH water. Bolivian Rams are pretty hardy for being Dwarf Cichlids, you could try those.

NewFishDude said:
So as my tank is finishing cycling I've been looking to my lfs and the big box stores for fish I'd like to see in my tank, but because apparently we have "really bad" water (their words not mine) they say my only options are Afr. Cichlids or Goldfish. Obviously cichlids in a 25 gallon tall would eventually end up back at the lfs or pet super store so that option is just silly. Goldfish?Really? Not really what I had in mind when I decided to set up and start a new hobby. My lfs seems put off by some of my newbish questions because I don't completely understand what the hell my GH/KH readings mean when it comes to fish keeping. And I really don't trust the dog/cat/fish/reptile/audio/video pro at Pet Co... So with that being said here are the readings as of today.

Low PH - 7.6
High PH - 8.4
Ammo - 0.25 ppm
No3 - 0
No2 - 0
Nh3/Nh4 - 0
Kh - 322.2
Gh - 393.8

It's not done cycling yet as I'm waiting to see some NitrAtes kick in, but I figured it's time to get ideas. So my skill vs. what I like. I'm new but I'm trying to get it right.

Really how hard is my water? Like I said these numbers mean nothing to me as I fully don't understand yet. I know about minerals in the water but is my water hard or is it soft?

Is it out of the question to want to have a pair or Bolivian Rams or Gouramis as a center piece with some Cory's and a shoal of Neon's?

Based on my numbers what would you do? It's a 25 gallon tall with a Penguin 350 filter and a 200w Aquatop heater, sand substrate, lava rock and lightly planted with Java Fern and Anubas. Driftwood coming soon. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

You could have 2 Bolivian rams or one honey or dwarf gourami with 6 neons and 6 peppered or panda cories

Back
Top Bottom