26 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy10

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am cycling my new tank and I have some mollies, platys and swordtails on hold for me at the pet store, what kind of shrimp and how many would you recommend?

All of those fish will eat shrimp given the chance. For any type of shrimp you're going to need lots of hiding places with driftwood, moss and plants for shrimp to live with them. Maybe try some amano shrimp since they are bigger than dwarf shrimp species.

There are some shrimp you can have but they are not all that appealing.

You can have amano shrimp, I have kept these with angels before so I think they will be fine. They don't breed in freshwater just to let you know. For a 26 gal you could keep probably keep 7-10 they do work on the substrate they are my favorite shrimp for clean up.
You could also keep bamboo shrim but these shrimp are huge they can get 4 inches long. They also can not breed in freshwater. You could have maybe 4 or 5 although they don't clean the substrate as much they pick off floating particles that float into there fan like hands/claws.

Those are the only ones that I know are suitable

Ok thanks, but do you have to have that many of them because my LPS is really expensive and I'm kinda running low on money :$

Amano shrimp do get to be a good size. Mine are a little over a year old and about 1.5"-1.75". I also have an adult angel and they're large enough that she ignores them.

Like others have said you don't need to get a lot. Just get as many as you want for now or can afford. I started with two in my 50 gallon planted tank and slowly added more as time went on. I'm currently only at 6 but will probably add more since I enjoy watching them.

Vampire shrimp might be an option, they are pretty big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LiveAquaria.com has them under the name viper shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't order online because it costs a fortune to ship to canada

Back
Top Bottom