26g Bow Front - My First Dutch Inspired Scape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm... I suppose i could exchange them if i really wanted to. I wonder if i should go all white or keep one blue?

I like the mix. It was just to bright on my 20 gallon with both. Now that I'm using LED floodlights instead of T5s I can position them at the top of the hood next to the fixture where it will block out at least half of the tank. I prefer to have a really dark area as well as a moonlit area. It's all just personal preference though. You may want to try grouping them closer together (in a row) either center left or center right if you'd like to see what I mean. It's nice to have the whole tank lit up if that's what you're going for. It's just hard to advise anyone on this because every tank and tank owner have their own style.

I'm currently saving up for those same moonlights for my own 38 gallon. I'm going to get two whites and one blue because I like the more natural look.

If you like the blues, then I wouldn't go through the trouble of returning one and buying another. But if you really really want another white then go for it.

your tank is awesome! I'm finding myself spending more time (and money) on scaping my planted since it's doing well on my second try. got a few more ideas here

(y)

Thanks guys... for now, I think I'll stick with the 2 blues and 1 white lunar LED's... they kinda grew on me! LOL...

Here's another pic of them in action :)
8319557817_f43cf552b3_b.jpg

@pcdebb - thanks for the comment... I'll keep a lookout for your builds :)

Another Update - Only because Rivercats inspired me to get a certain plant! :brows:

Well after I managed to stop drooling over Rivercat's 220g build, I was drawn in by one of her colorful plants, LIMNOPHILA AROMATICA... and I found myself having one of those "I just have to have that plant" itch that I just couldn't ignore... I think I had that same feeling toward Flame Moss and Downoi... Well lucky enough, my LFS had some LIMNOPHILA AROMATICA for 2 bucks a stem... so I grabbed a couple along with some plants I FORGOT to ask what they were...LOL So I'll need some help ID'ing them too.. I'll start their own "Please ID Plant" thread if you guys can't help me here...

So I ditched the Rotala Vietnam and the green Cabomba in the left of my tank to make room for the L. Aromatica...

8319558167_78031260fe_b.jpg

Here's a close-up... wow I just love this plant already... nice coloring and uniquely shaped leaves :)
8320619244_953554ab90_b.jpg

Now for the HELP in ID'ing my "other" new plants... What's this little red guy to the right???
8319558093_49b1c2135b_b.jpg

Please ID the small green stem plant on the very left just in front of the stone??? I think it's some type of Rotala species... but don't know the name.
8320619180_7d17c44bbc_b.jpg

And lastly... When I bought the gold marble angels.. they were just white and black.. now the gold color is starting to become more prominent. Such a friendly little guy :)
8320619104_dcdaf4f04d_b.jpg

Actually Brian the angel looks like a Koi angel. The Limnophila Aromatica will get really almost hot pink on the top 2-4 inches of new growth. This is my favorite plant and one of the first colored plants I put in the 220. That little red stem looks alot like my Rotala Macrandra, the leaf shape and color looks like mine. Don't have a clue what that tiny little green plant is.

I am liking your tank more and more!!!

Forgot to tell you if you start having issues with your red plants not being as red we'll have to talk about changing your dosing to high phosphate - low nitrate.

@tiger terror - thank you... but Rivercats set that bar already... hahaha

@Rivercats - Wow.. if those angels are koi that would be awesome... since those were my original intention. As for increasing phosphates, the guy at the LFS said the same thing to me yesterday. He said that he and the famous Tom Barr pushes a crazy amount of phosphates in his dutch aquascape on TPT. So I was under the impression that high phosphates are associated with algae? Also, I thought the GLA green ferts pack that I'm using for PPS-PRO has phosphates.. is that not sufficient? I recall you mentioning in another thread that you up your chelated iron? I'm such a newbie... thanks for your compliment and help :)

That green stem plant you were referring to looks like what I have- moneywort- most fish stores sell it. I love the look of the Dutch themes! Especially yours. I think I may want to start one myself next year like this.

@tiger terror - thank you... but Rivercats set that bar already... hahaha

@Rivercats - Wow.. if those angels are koi that would be awesome... since those were my original intention. As for increasing phosphates, the guy at the LFS said the same thing to me yesterday. He said that he and the famous Tom Barr pushes a crazy amount of phosphates in his dutch aquascape on TPT. So I was under the impression that high phosphates are associated with algae? Also, I thought the GLA green ferts pack that I'm using for PPS-PRO has phosphates.. is that not sufficient? I recall you mentioning in another thread that you up your chelated iron? I'm such a newbie... thanks for your compliment and help :)

That one from the top pic looks like my Koi Angels, it could be a gold marble but in the pic it looks more orange than yellowish.

I've been messing alot with fert levels the past months and what I've done is first mix my nitrates in one dosing bottle then phosphats & potassium in another dosing bottle so I have control over how much of each I need. Then I've been using less nitrates and am keeping the tank as close to 10ppm as I can. Phosphates right now I'm keeping levels at 1.5ppm and might go up to 2ppm. I've also upped my dosage of micro nutrient mix daily. I am seeing better and better color as I'm getting up in ppm's of phosphate. The next weeks will tell. As for Iron I'm trying to dose only what is in the micro mix to see if low nitrates and higher phosphates does more to color up the plants.

I have not had any algae issues since I started this.

Thanks guys! Wow Aqua_Chem... your L. Aromatica looks amazing! Such vibrant colors... hope mine gets that way. BTW, I've only seen pics posted of your plants in small segments.. where can we find FTS eye-candy of your builds? Enquiring minds would like to know! Haha

As for the ludwigia glandulosa, I just Googled it and looks like you nailed another plant ID on the head. So after reading a bit on it.. I'm glad it's a slow grower, that makes me feel somewhat comfy leaving it mid-ground. However, some sites say it's a background plant.. you think it's fine where it's at? I'd like to keep it compact.. guess I can just keep trimming and replanting and make it stay short.

That's what I do, just keep trimming them down and replanting if needed to keep stem plants closer to the front short.

Thanks Rivercats..

So back to this little green stem plant on the left, here's a closer pic... Last thoughts on ID anyone?

ForumRunner_20121228_221324.jpg

I wasn't even looking at the right plant. It look like one of the bacopia's to me. I have some Bacopia Australis. If you keep cutting the stem and replanting it will look better in a close little group.

Back
Top Bottom