26g Bow Front - My First Dutch Inspired Scape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Rivercats.. Okay I'm going to try this advice and get iron tabs. Which phosphate test do you recommend (api, searches, etc.)? And where do I buy the phosphate if needed? Is it the Mono Potassium Phosphate on GLA?

I just have an API phosphate test kit. And yes it is the mono posassium phospate on GLA. Aren't you using PPS-Pro? If so you need to mix your nitrate seperate from you phosphate and potassium. That's what I do so that I can use less nitrates and more phosphates daily. I am also dosing alittle extra of the micro mix daily.

Yes PPS-Pro thanks to your suggestion when I first got into dry ferts. Well I'll order the test kit and post my result. Depending on how that turns out, I'll probably need your help getting things dialed in to optimum levels.

Wow.. The red sea phosphate test kit looks really nice and professional. Its also double the price! Haha.. Might just go with the cheaper API or Seachem product. I'll search reviews first..

On another note.. Woke up this morning and found this tank SUPER CLEAR! By-golly, i think the Purigen and filter floss polished this water to another level I've yet to see on this build! Thanks again Rivercats for the Purigen suggestion :)

img_2276785_0_b894fb4759bf0782b3c2e91586c8dd8b.jpg

Man, I wish I had read your suggestion for a different media bag earlier. I just ordered another $8 Bag two days ago. -_- It's the third one this year. Glad to hear your tank is cleared up.

Update....

Today I spent the day maintaining my other tanks. I collected a boat load of clippings and my DHG. I placed them in a baggy and shot down to my parent's house with all my other aquarium goodies. I'll start setting up tomorrow... But first, I want to share my excitement of how this Finnex light fixture seems to be a perfect fit for this aquarium :)

When I ordered the Finnex Ray 2, I thought I was going to have to ditch the hood on the Aqueon Bow Front and get one of those glass versa tops. But to my delight, after removing the stock light fixture, I discovered that there's a glass splash shield attached to the hood and not the fixture. Further, the width and length looked just about right for the Finnex to sit right on it without docking legs or having to ditch the hood... Wow, it's like the Finnex was made for this tank! Don't you just love it when a plan comes together, especially when it wasn't fully planned that way?? LOL

Best of all... The Finnex uses just 1 more watt than the stock florescent fixture (19w vs. 20w) but delivers a substantial increase in lighting. I just love efficiency!

Here's some comparison shots (no post picture adjustments were made, taken with same camera, and same ambient conditions):

Here's the glass shield integrated in the hood...

And the Finnex sitting nicely right on the glass. Super slim and sleek.. From the front, you can't even see a fixture :) I'm considering spray painting it black.. But most likely not because the silver doesn't bother me much.

I bought the Aqueon 36, now I'm hoping Finnex will have one that will work for me to!
Subscribed and catching up!

They do.. I was originally going to get the 36g Bow, but got the 26g due to the better stand IMO. However, for the 36g being 30" long, you'll have to either get the 36" Ray 2 if you want to grow moderate to high light plants w/ co2 supplementation... OR, get the 30" Fugeray if you want low to moderate lighting. With the Ray 2 though, you're fixture will hang off the sides about 3", which would be bad because the LED's don't begin until about 2" in from the ends.

They do.. I was originally going to get the 36g Bow, but got the 26g due to the better stand IMO. However, for the 36g being 30" long, you'll have to either get the 36" Ray 2 if you want to grow moderate to high light plants w/ co2 supplementation... OR, get the 30" Fugeray if you want low to moderate lighting. With the Ray 2 though, you're fixture will hang off the sides about 3", which would be bad because the LED's don't begin until about 2" in from the ends.

Hmmm, decisions… Fugeray then.

Thank you.

Oops... I meant to say "wouldn't" be bad in the previous post. Don't let my typo mislead you friend.. But if low light tolerant plants are your goal, by all means FugeRay.

@Brian_Nano12g
Im thinking about buying a Finnex Ray 2 for my 20 gal High Aqueon and ditching the old light fixture. Im glad to hear that it fits nicely with the existing hood. Do you think I should go with the 24" or do you think i could get by with a 16"?

P.S. Love the tank and the thread!

Thanks...

Well a 20g high is 24.3" long, so i would get the 24" fixture. If you get a ray 2, i hope you're planning on co2 injection and keeping moderate to high light plants. Otherwise, you might get a lot of algae. If you get the smaller Ray 2 to set on the glass of the hood (if like my 26g bow), it might work. I'm not sure how narrow the LED beams are so you might end up with some shaded ends on your tank. This might be okay if your scape involves low light tolerant plants in those side areas, while keeping the more demanding plants center. I'd personally get the 24" Ray 2 though for that size tank.

What type of plants are you planning to grow?

Hey guys... I'm not sure if I need to start a new thread on this but maybe I can get a quick answer here... I'm pretty sure I have a dead spot underneath the outflow of the Fluval 306. I'm noticing a build-up of algae on the leaves, which I believe is Staghorn algae. I've read they love dead spots where the current isn't strong.. Anyway, I just placed an order for a Hydor Koralia Nano Water Pump (240 GPH Aquarium Circulation Pump). It had the best reviews and was reasonable priced. I've never had to implement a circulation pump so I would like some advice on placement.

I created some doodles on a picture of the tank for placement options. I'm thinking placement 1 is the best place.. Although, placement 2 might have a "stronger" current to get water circulating out of that area? I tried to imagine the current by drawing arrows... LOL

Advice please :)

ibqEViaKAnN2Fp.jpg

I like the first one too, that way not a lot of plants would me moving around in the current but it would get the water flowing in that area a bit more. I have one koralia nano in my 60g to get the CO2 to circulate through the tank and they are awesome little circulators :) What's that plant around the dead spot? P. erectus?

Thanks for the input Dan! It's P. Erectus, Hygrophila Angustifolia, and Cyperus Helferi.

Oh I see! It looks great, I want to start a 20H planted now...oh gosh MTS is hitting me hard lol I was in my lfs for hamster food today and they were setting up new fish tank displays and had a pretty 20H tank on a stand and all for like $75...you know how that felt leaving the store without it? LOL but my wife would have killed me if I brought home another tank :lol:

Haha.. I know the feeling.. I promised the GF that I'm maxed out on aquariums. I agreed that I can't sell these and buy the "grand daddy" tank of them all until we get married and buy a house... LOL

One more thing I just noticed when looking at the picture I just posted... the clear somewhat-opaque tubes and the white rubber connectors stick out like a sore thumb! LOL

I just placed an order for Fluval 305 replacement parts (the intake tube and the rubber connectors) which would fit the 306. I really don't get why they would choose to change the colors on these parts as they are not aesthetically pleasing, especially on a dark background (which most background are now). One reviewer on 305 parts on Amazon stated, "'Im not sure whom at Fluval thought changing to the white connectors a good idea, but that person needs to be pistol whipped and fed castor oil." Haha... that sold me!

Back
Top Bottom