26g goldfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
I managed to score myself a 26g tank, stand and accessories for $65 on the weekend.

image-940317474.jpg

This is what it looked like when I got it. The blue of the stand was Bright! A lot brighter than the picture and ugly.

image-587696701.jpg

After three cans of spray paint this is what it looks like now. I'm quite pleased with it.

I got some PFS and washed it yesterday (getting severely sunburnt! Ouch!). I know I'm preaching to the choir but PFS is awesome! I've never used it before. Compared to play sand it's so much easier and faster to wash.

I'm going to keep updating this thread as I set it up and move Percy into his new home.

image-3696236491.jpg

^^^ Percy. :D

absolutangel04 said:
The tank and stand look nice. :)
What kind of goldfish is Percy?

Thanks! He's a ranchu. I fell in love. :D He's only about an inch at the moment so his wen (I think that's what it's called) will grow in when he gets bigger.

Looks great mumma!! Percy is rely cool too!:)

Did all the toys come with the tank? Deal! Lol

Ah. I don't know too much about goldies, so I figured I would ask. :)
BTW, I like the stand after you spray-painted it. Good call.

Wow! What an improvement!!! Yes, you are correct! His head growth (and it will grow!) is called a wen. I hope Percy enjoys his new home!!! :)

Gboy66 said:
Looks great mumma!! Percy is rely cool too!:)

Did all the toys come with the tank? Deal! Lol

Lol! The tanks in the kids play room. They have already claimed under the stand as toy storage!

absolutangel04 said:
Ah. I don't know too much about goldies, so I figured I would ask. :)
BTW, I like the stand after you spray-painted it. Good call.

I didn't either until a few months ago. They are more daunting than tropicals!
Thanks. Me too. I already have a blue kitchen (that I HATE) so that's enough blue in the house. Lol.

jlk said:
Wow! What an improvement!!! Yes, you are correct! His head growth (and it will grow!) is called a wen. I hope Percy enjoys his new home!!! :)

Thanks jlk!
I thought so! Thanks for the conformation. :) I'm sure he will. Going to get him a friend. I haven't decided if I'm going to get another ranchu or another type of goldie.

(and yes everyone I know the tank is too small for two goldfish but it's only a grow out tank. Then they have a home in a 40g)

Thanks jlk!
I thought so! Thanks for the conformation. :) I'm sure he will. Going to get him a friend. I haven't decided if I'm going to get another ranchu or another type of goldie.

(and yes everyone I know the tank is too small for two goldfish but it's only a grow out tank. Then they have a home in a 40g)

Be careful here! He will be fine in here by himself until you are ready to move him to a bigger tank or get a tiny baby to keep him company in the interim. The more water they have in their formative growth period, the bigger they potentially can grow (genetics considered, of course). The amount of growth they do in the first 6mths to year is incredible as is the growth from 1yr to 2-3yrs. Always err on the side of caution (and tons of water) with goldies! Btw, you really did great job on this tank/stand! :)

jlk said:
Be careful here! He will be fine in here by himself until you are ready to move him to a bigger tank or get a tiny baby to keep him company in the interim. The more water they have in their formative growth period, the bigger they potentially can grow (genetics considered, of course). The amount of growth they do in the first 6mths to year is incredible as is the growth from 1yr to 2-3yrs. Always err on the side of caution (and tons of water) with goldies! Btw, you really did great job on this tank/stand! :)

So do you think another 1 inch ranchu would be ok for 6 months? I can always do the swap earlier if need be. We are moving (hopefully) in 6 months and I was planning to do the swap then....

Hmm.... as babies, in particular, for optimum growth i always suggest the more water the better. As you know, stunting really cant be 'undone' so its always better to prevent any possibility of it occurring in the first place. I personally would upgrade them before 6mths time. Get out your measuring tape & measure Percy & see exactly how big he is & right it down somewhere so you can track his growth. :)

jlk said:
Hmm.... as babies, in particular, for optimum growth i always suggest the more water the better. As you know, stunting really cant be 'undone' so its always better to prevent any possibility of it occurring in the first place. I personally would upgrade them before 6mths time. Get out your measuring tape & measure Percy & see exactly how big he is & right it down somewhere so you can track his growth. :)

Ok :) I'm probably going to get impatient and move the 40g inside soon!

Filled the tank today. :) I've got silicone just finished curing in one of the corners of the tank so I'm going to change water out every couple of days for a while before I add substrate.

Well I couldn't wait. I'm 99.99% sure the silicone is safe now.

image-872265510.jpg

image-1064567441.jpg

image-2265886356.jpg

20kg of PFS is in and I placed the wood in just to see how it looks. :) I still have to clean it and attach some slate to it yet. Looking at the tank with the sand and wood in it looks way too small for two goldfish so just Percy's going to live in there for now :)

Attachments

• image-4181903082.jpg
    image-4181903082.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 57
  • image-3669069513.jpg
    image-3669069513.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 69
Looks good!!!! Did you paint the back of the tank black or is it a background? Im debating on painting the back of my 'leech tank' black since its going outside sunday to be cleaned. Its been WAY too cold to to be sloshing around in freezing water & bleach the last few days!

Wow! Great deal... Stand looks good :) you're inspiring me to look into the Goldie arena... Would be fun to get one as a baby and see how big they actually get.
Don't they get up to 12"? What's their life span compared to mollies & platies?

Back
Top Bottom