28 Gallon SW Build...hopefully...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also let us know how you like that in line TDS meter. I almost bought one then opted to get a 14$ handheld pen TDS meter. Does that sound about right?

And if u are still curious about sub straight I can post a pick once I'm home from work and done testing water parameters

Ya i'll def let you know about the meter.

Ya i want to see what everyone has. I like the fine sand look, but i heard people using alternatives. I wanted to see how it looks.

Ya the pup is gonna be awesome. Always had a pooch...been long overdue

Ok...sooo I should probably get a rough stock list together huh....ohhh boy...

So with a 36 gallon tank i'm really cutting down huh.

Would I be able to have:

Fish

Clownfish (standard Nemo's)?
Skunk Cleaners x 2
Blood Fire Shrimp x 2
Emerald Crab x 1
Watchman Goby x 1
Purple/Yellow (forget name)
CUC

Coral

Hammer Coral
Frogspawn
Toadstool Leather
Various Polyps
Clams
Basically anything that flows with the current...lol. But those are the basics.

Got some gear today!!!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110919_180829.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110919_180829.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 101
Thanks...still have a bunch to go though. I think my base rock is coming last though... :(

Hey sorry for the delay.

image-3130912523.jpg

Those snails are only 1/4" long. They can shift fairly easy. And most bury themselves during the day in it?

Thanks sir...looking for something a little finer than that. I like the white color alot though...

Awesome...thanks again.

Ok so back to the lighting question again. I was told by my very knowledgable LFS that a 4 bulb fixture would be enough to house any corals, nems or clams...would this be correct?

I've got about 600 or more to spend on a light...the only dilemma i see is the center brace it's prolly about 2 inches wide...need a fixture that will support anything.

I apologize carey for this never ending struggle for deciding a light. I was gonna with the 6 bulb fixture hung, but since its a bow front it will hang over a lil bit. If a four bulb fixture will have zero limitaions i'll get one. A MH fixture would be blocked by thr brace...well i think it would be. Im just nervous about spending this kinda money and getting a bad fixture

Yeah, a single mh wouldnt work, it will melt the brace. In my opinion a 6 bulb would have no limitations while you might have some issues with a 4 bulb. BUT if the 4 bulb fixture is individually reflected and you have quality bulbs you may be ok yet. Just my opinion for what its worth lol

I'm wondering if i should just go with the 6 bulb fixture hanged, cause it shouldn't matter is a small bit is hanging over...will it?

It's just a matter of what YOU like. If it won't bother you then go for it. If it's hung I don't see that you will notice the overhang as much. Just depends on how much "too big" it is....if it's more than a few inches on either side you may have light spillover onto the outside of the tank though.

You do have a point there...I could always adjust to have the extra light over the back of the tank if there is that much overhang...another question...

Do you see an issue with a 24 inch fixture over a 30 inch wide tank? Looking at the 6 bulb aquaticlife fixture you showed me in the beginning. Not many 30 inch fixtures to choose from...

You wouldn't have complete coverage I wouldn't think with that fixture, unless you hung it and the spread covers the ends of the tank. That's gonna be the issue with getting any 24 inch fixture though. if you go that route your choices do open up quite a bit. I've searched high and low for 30" fixtures and they just aren't there. lol What are you intending on keeping? Any high light corals or clams or anemones?

Back
Top Bottom