29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any chance that the reactor bottle tipped over or the exit port is too close to solution level? The "trap" did its job for the most part. Just keep the exit ports near the top. I once kept a very concentrated salt solution in the separator bottle in an attempt to kill any yeast from passing through. I also flushed the lines with H2O2 prior to use. Still, a blob of fungus would eventually develop on the end of the tube where it entered the filter intake.

Any chance that the reactor bottle tipped over or the exit port is too close to solution level? The "trap" did its job for the most part. Just keep the exit ports near the top. I once kept a very concentrated salt solution in the separator bottle in an attempt to kill any yeast from passing through. I also flushed the lines with H2O2 prior to use. Still, a blob of fungus would eventually develop on the end of the tube where it entered the filter intake.
Probably the latter. I switched out the bottle for something bigger and used all new airline. I'm really hoping this DIY set-up is short term. I'm out of town until Sunday. My husband is home and will only be gone for one day, but I'm feeling extremely nervous about that one day- to the degree that I'm thinking I should ask him to take the outlet out of the tank.

Mystery snails are in the 10 gallon. This looks permanent.

1479096490720.jpg

Unless something other than low pH would cause that kind of erosion. There was discoloration but no hole on Thursday. Poor Vanilla Snail!

Maxime is happy, though.

1479096667855.jpg

I'm curious if Vanilla will like Bubbles the dinosaur as much as Maxime does.

The big tank is great. I planted my lotus sprouts. Very excited about that.

Lotus sprouts are doing well!

1479134380802.jpg

Despite the rabbit snails' efforts to dig up the micro sword

1479134201195.jpg

It's doing well.

1479134252090.jpg

Stubby keeps eating the baby Japanese trapdoor snails. I watched him suck a snail straight outof of its shell and then removed four empty shells. But look at his color. He's gorgeous.

1479134348293.jpg

I made some root tabs with clay and fertilizer. I used some of that clay to hold the lotus seeds in place because the rabbit snails keep digging them up and eating the seeds.

I finished the bottle of Leaf Zone I had bought and I don't really want to buy more. Research.

I hope to be doing a bisque fire soon so that my ceramic trees will be ready for the moss on its way. The upper right side of the tank is so empty!

The topple popple and I will be hitting the fish nerd place tomorrow. Hopefully the owner is interested in some snails. We need a female guppy, and I have my eyes open for a tiny female blue ram.

Researching drop checkers and diffusers. Trying to figure out what's so great about the $50 drop checkers. Really that seems unnecessary.

1479275721644.jpg
SO CUTE.

1479275778839.jpg

Are you a ceramics person?

If so are there any glazes that would be safe for aquariums?

I wanna do a Raku piece for the tank

I am a ceramist!

Glazes that are inert (i.e. don't leech chemicals) are okay for aquaria, and those glazes are generally labeled as food safe. Traditional raku has lead in it, so that's right out. Mayco says they have a food safe raku, but there are a boat load of variables because of the firing process.

The test for glazes that you mix yourself, if you can't send it in for analysis, is to fill a vessel covered with the glaze in question with water and stick it in the microwave. Heat it at full power for several minutes. If there is any change in color or texture, it's leeching chemicals and it is not food safe.

I would not recommend putting raku in the microwave, though, because all of the metals.

The stuff I work with is all high fire, and I probably won't even have any of my own glazes in the kiln with the aquarium stuff. Not worth the risk, you know?

Hmmm true ...

I wonder if i seal the piece with the clear Drylok?

Ya ill have to make up my own glazes i think, i just wanted the crackle and burn look but that glaze crackle additive i know for a fact isnt safe either :(

As for plant fertilizers, PPS-Pro is very economical. I have probably 6-8 months left on a kit I bought for about $35 back in DEC 2013.

As for plant fertilizers, PPS-Pro is very economical. I have probably 6-8 months left on a kit I bought for about $35 back in DEC 2013.
That's some detailed stuff! How often do you dose?

···
Meet Friendy Friend.
(next post)

Handing her over, the guy who sold her said, "I hope she gives you lots of good babies!"

He has some blue rams coming in on Friday, so I'm going to trade some of these unbearably cute rabbit snails.

Look at this handsome fish!
(Next post)

I finally have ammonia and nitrites down to zero (on the big tank) after that issue with the yeast.

After being without Excel for a few days, I was amazed at how green the ludwigia got. The red is coming back now, though! Plants are all good except that the rabbit snails keep digging up the lotus seeds! STAHP!

Hmmm true ...

I wonder if i seal the piece with the clear Drylok?

Ya ill have to make up my own glazes i think, i just wanted the crackle and burn look but that glaze crackle additive i know for a fact isnt safe either :(
Do you have a background on your tank? Could you put the sculpture behind or next to the tank?

That's some detailed stuff! How often do you dose?

PPS-Pro doses macros and micros (nutrients) daily. I think it is a watered down version of the EI (Estimative Index) method which typically alternates macros on one day and micros on the other. PPS-Pro solutions are mixed ahead of time and dosed at a rate of 1 mL per 10 gallons of tank water. EI are often dry dosed (nutrients/salts are measured and added directly to the tank). EI employs a 50% water change per week to "reset" the tank.
I purchased my PPS-Pro kit from Green Leaf Aquariums (GLA).

Back
Top Bottom