29 + 10 planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They're going to look even better glazed.

The last fish we euthanized was with grain alcohol. Terrible Terrible. I haven't been able to find straight clove oil, so I finally just bought'm clove *bud* oil. I can't find the difference. Hopefully we won't need to use it anytime soon.

Is there a secret to rotala? I've tried it twice, and both times it just sort of....vanishes.

Do the leaves melt or fall off? Are there herbivores in the tank? There are many types of rotala, some are more demanding than others. I've had success with most but there are some that I can't keep healthy.

Rotala rotundifolia

It is very strange, because there's never any visible melting nor leaves fallen off. It's just suddenly less massive. And quickly.

The first time I figured that the rabbit snails ate it. Now it's in the 10 gallon with the rams and two trapdoor snails.

Noticed that my CO2 bottle was empty yesterday. The spouse said he would get it filled up today.

Drop checker should be here Monday. The light is going to be a gift... I'm ready for it. The incandescent doesn't cut it, and the SAD light made the brown slime explode.

What bubble count are you using? Size of tank? A leak perhaps? I've gotten 4-4.5 months out of a 24 oz tank.
I think your rabbit snails ate the plants.

What bubble count are you using? Size of tank? A leak perhaps? I've gotten 4-4.5 months out of a 24 oz tank.
I think your rabbit snails ate the plants.
There was definitely a leak. My husbanduh is hooking up the refilled bottle now, and he found the leak.

The rabbit snails eating the plants makes sense in the big tank, but there are only two trapdoor snails in the 10 gallon, where the rotala is currently vanishing. I'm eager to get lighting hooked up and see how that helps.

I am very frustrated right now. I cannot get my ammonia and nitrites to read zero in the 29 gallon. There are only traces, but it just won't get to zero. I tested the tap water on Friday, which showed .5ppm ammonia. I did do a water change yesterday, but then testing it today, the ammonia isn't gone. And there are nitrites.

Aside from using a different water source, what should I do differently?

The good news is that drop checkers came today. I just set them up and am looking forward to seeing what they do.

Have you ever had a zero reading with the ammonia test like , on distilled or RO to confirm the test is not inaccurate?
I like to verify my test if I get a concerning result from one.

I'm using the API master test kit. I can take it in to the Petco.
You should take it in since you know you have some ammonia and nitrite and see what they say....Don't tell them....:popcorn:
I bet "your water is all good!"....:facepalm:
Eventually you have learn who and who not to trust with info and for help...:whistle:

So

I ran out of bottle 1 ammonia reagent Saturday and got a new one on Friday.

I'm a little overly test happy, and I'll admit that. I test everything on Wednesdays, and then the nitrogens on Saturdays. I do water changes on Fridays.

Last Saturday levels were fine. 0, 0, 5 and 0, 0, 10. I didn't test on Wednesday because I didn't have the new ammonia yet and everything seemed fine. I'm trying to get myself to believe that I don't need to test as much as I do. Anxiety can be tricky.

Friday, the Amazon drone delivered a couple of hours after I had done the water changes. 10ish from the 29 gallon and 2.5ish from the 10. Rather than wait a day like makes sense, I started testing right then.

Everything was exactly the same. pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. 7.6, 1, .25, 5. Given how different the two tanks are, I figured that most of what I was picking up was from the tap. I reran ammonia and nitrites just because I wanted them to be something different, but nope. Tested the tap, which had .5ppm ammonia and 0 nitrites.

No change Saturday (it was really only about 12 hours later), so I added 5ml of Prime to each tank and felt bad about not doing a water change. Sunday morning, the 10 gallon was at .5, 2 and the 29 was still at 1, .25. Tap water tested with trace ammonia- not quite .25, but not zero, so I did another set of water changes. This morning, they still aren't 0. They aren't bad, but they aren't zero.

I did think that mixing the two ammonia tests could be part of the problem, but that doesn't explain nitrites. I did find a dead baby snail in the 29 gallon, but it was smaller than a grain of rice, so I think it's more an effect than cause.

Maybe I'm just being overly worried? It is a special skill of mine. But I need ammonia and nitrites to be 0. For real 0. It feels like they should be there by ...this morning. Should I just wait until tomorrow morning? Hopefully everything will be sorted out?

At some point last week, maybe Thursday? I preheated the oven without realizing that some grease had dripped on to the bottom of the oven. It caused enough smoke that I had to open all the windows and turn on all the fans to clear it out. It filled the whole floor The tanks don't have lids, and so I think that might have caused the initial spike. Maybe? I don't know. I genuinely don't know anymore.

The 10 was set up in July with a fish-in cycle because I didn't know better. We then upgraded to the 29 gallon in August, moving everything over. The 10 gallon was set up with media from the 29 gallon in September.

I've had blips- when I was doing the yeast CO2, I had a crazy ammonia spike. Mostly, though, things are good. Usually ammonia and nitrites are zero.

IMO you pay close enough attention you don't need to test unless you see something that alarms you.You watch all your critters and algaes ,so if something seems funny test.
Your maintenance schedule seems to be proper IMO. I change a lot of water...
All the test is going to do is one of two things for me;
1. tell me to change water.
2. make me paranoid but not enough to change water... I probably could have changed water in same time? Prime cost less?:blink:
I have heard of lots of great inventions and met some pretty special and intelligent keepers. One of my favorite says "change as much water as often as you can".
This is what took me from a 180 gallon average aquarium keeper into whatever I am now :cool:..Just change water and you will be fine. If there is a 'storm' change more...
Every week like you have been doing:whistle:
You seem to have this down...(y)
Don't sweat the test..:dance:
Let your fish and tank tell you..:flowers:

IMO you pay close enough attention you don't need to test unless you see something that alarms you.You watch all your critters and algaes ,so if something seems funny test.

Your maintenance schedule seems to be proper IMO. I change a lot of water...

All the test is going to do is one of two things for me;

1. tell me to change water.

2. make me paranoid but not enough to change water... I probably could have changed water in same time? Prime cost less?:blink:

I have heard of lots of great inventions and met some pretty special and intelligent keepers. One of my favorite says "change as much water as often as you can".

This is what took me from a 180 gallon average aquarium keeper into whatever I am now :cool:..Just change water and you will be fine. If there is a 'storm' change more...

Every week like you have been doing:whistle:

You seem to have this down...(y)

Don't sweat the test..:dance:

Let your fish and tank tell you..:flowers:

I agree. Part of my thinks these tests are designed to make us panic! If you are concerned about ammonia get the seachem ammonia alert and stick it in the tank. It measures free ammonia only, the toxic part rather than total ammonia like the liquid test kit. I'll bet you the ammonia alert will read 'safe'

As for nitrite. I am skeptical. I have yet to see a genuine case where nitrites have killed fish. High nitrites means high ammonia at some point which is far more toxic in the right conditions.

Nearly all toxic elements that we see in our tanks will result in laboured breathing or gasping at the surface.

High ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high co2, low oxygen. If your fish show no signs of distress and are even breeding? I wouldn't be testing at all.

Last thing I tested for was co2 (drop checker) and temperature. Fish are fine. Plants.....now that's a different story.

I agree. Part of my thinks these tests are designed to make us panic! If you are concerned about ammonia get the seachem ammonia alert and stick it in the tank. It measures free ammonia only, the toxic part rather than total ammonia like the liquid test kit. I'll bet you the ammonia alert will read 'safe'

As for nitrite. I am skeptical. I have yet to see a genuine case where nitrites have killed fish. High nitrites means high ammonia at some point which is far more toxic in the right conditions.

Nearly all toxic elements that we see in our tanks will result in laboured breathing or gasping at the surface.

High ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, high co2, low oxygen. If your fish show no signs of distress and are even breeding? I wouldn't be testing at all.

Last thing I tested for was co2 (drop checker) and temperature. Fish are fine. Plants.....now that's a different story.
I agree. I watch the tank. Test rarely if all looks good.

Reducing testing is a reasonable practice (in this case), though quitting outright would probably be distressing.

I am a reasonably functional human being, although I'm aware that I am being pretty neurotic. This whole set-up has quickly become a valued part of my life, and I want to do a good job.

And, yes, everything is breeding. Baby snails, baby guppies, egg heavy, garnet-colored Harlequins (although I think they need more plants), and the prettiest, feistiest blue ram laying eggs for a second time. They love eating and they are all active.

The plants need more light, but I snooped and know there's going to be a Current Satellite LED+ under the tree, which is probably excessive but also looks REALLY NEAT.

And I just set up drop checkers yesterday, which have already been useful. Given that my husband built the CO2 system himself, it's been helpful. I'll take some pictures of the needle valve situation in a bit.

And one of the members here sold me some pancuraji, so now I'm in love with that....

I'm with the testing :) Can't say I'm fanatical on it although I do like collecting them. I'm really hoping we will do a test kit comparison at one of the local society meetings (remember that old thread) next year.

Ammonia I test maybe twice a year now. Nitrates maybe every fortnight to once a month. It settles down until something gets changed.

Back
Top Bottom