29 gal Lighting Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had my current light fixture for way too long and I'm looking to replace it. I have a 29 gallon tank, 30x12x18", with a 24" dual lamp T5 HO Aquatic Life light. I think it's been discontinued because I can't buy it anywhere...here's a link to it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00780S5I4/homepro0a-20

It's weird because I measure my tank at 30" long but the 24" light fixture fits perfectly and a 30" light I bought is too big. Am I being dumb and missing something here? Do they measure by length of the bulbs and not the housing unit?

Anyway, does anyone have a good recommendation for a T5HO light fixture for a 29 gallon? I have low maintenance plants, anubias and water sprite.

Thanks!

You opposed to going led??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Better is such a finite term.. I like to think of leds as being superior to t5. They are affordable, powerful, customizable and last around 50k hours.. look into a finnex 247

not trying to hijack the tread...

i am looking to make the move to led as well in my 20 long (no CO2, low to mid light plants). A lot of folks like the 24/7 but i am not sure i will make use of the all the features.

I saw http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LFF07I8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=APGLUTFSIU1LH listed on another thread on this site and was thinking it may meet needs.

Thoughts?

thanks

Those are fine. Lots of positive feedback.

You can tell when LEDs lose power, whereas with fluorescent, you can't.

Can you?? I've never seen one come to the end of its advertised life? When they fail they lose power power? Flourecents just die.. pretty obvious when they're dead;)

Yep. Check out fluorescent lamp lumen depreciation.

LEDs are either off or on. The only time I saw one come to its natural end was on a taillight when I was driving bus.

I've read about it. Imo all the more reason to go led.

I just got my Finnex Planted+ 24/7 today for a 29 gallon tank. The feet wouldn't squeeze together enough to fit the top of the tank rails, so I shaved the tapered legs on the feet so they would pinch further into the fixture.

Then when I set down in my recliner the lights blinded me (tank is on a stand), so I just extended the feet back out until the fixture sits down about an inch above the glass lid. Works for me! :)

PS The new SE version of the 24/7 has different feet, so your mileage may vary if that's what you end up with. There is a link to a video review of the new model floating around here somewhere.

I have a fluval planted LED on my 29. Love it. My model is before the recent 2.0 tho when they changed the switch that everyone hates. For my purposes tho it just goes off and on with a timer.

On my 55 I Have a finnex planted + which is also nice. Not sure of the spectrum on this one tho as all the lights appear white. The fluval has many diff color bulbs.

Amazon usually has them both.

Back
Top Bottom