29 gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lunchbox209

Aquarium Advice Freak
How many cichilds can I have in a 29gal and witch ones are your personal favorites open to suggestions

That tank is too small for cichlids except south American dwarves. Research apistos, rams, keyholes etc.

Rams are the only cichlids that I have experience with. You could keep a pair in a 29 gallon (either German or Bolivian) along with a school of cool tetras and a BN pleco. IMO.
29 is too small for a lot of cichlids. The only options I personally know of are rams, apistos, keyholes, maybe kribs, and shellies.

There are many dwarf cichlids to choose from. Agasazzis, Apistogrammas, Checkerboards, etc. and many others, like shell dwellers, kribs, rams, keyholes, a single angel, maybe jewel cichlids, IDK.

Yeah, I agree that a pair is probably best. But there are all sorts of additional tankmates that could go in there also. BNP, otos, pitbull plecos, most of the small to medium sized schooling tetras, kuhli loaches... So many. But, the think rams are lovely, so have fun with them!

Bolivian. Just got mine after debating between a GBR and a bolivian. You can't go wrong between either one though but keep in mind GBR are a little more sensitive.

Bolivian. Just got mine after debating between a GBR and a bolivian. You can't go wrong between either one though but keep in mind GBR are a little more sensitive.
Bolivians are my vote as well, but that is just personal preference. In my area, Bolivians come with a lower price tag and are less sensitive. Both are awesome though and I am told that the difference between their personalities is neglidgable.

Ok so I have an I idea on what I'm going to stock and here is my list

2 Bolivian rams
5 rosy barb
5 blood fin tetra
4 nerite horned snails
5 red cherry shrimp
And either a pitbull pleco or a kulih loach

Am I over stocked or can I add 1 more Bolivian ram

You are not overstocked. Kuhlis and pitbull plecos both like groups. You should get either 2-3 pitbulls or 3 or 4 kuhlis. You will see the kuhlis more of they have friends to hang out with. I have kept them for quite a while and, IMO, you would be fine with 3-4. I would stick with that instead of adding another ram, but its up to you.

Ok would peppered corys work in my stock

Yes, but I don't know if you can have the khulis, cories and pleco all in the tank.

Or can I even do clown loaches or one more school of either tetras or barbs do I have room

No to the clown loaches. I would keep the schooling fish where it is because of swim room.

Back
Top Bottom