29 gallon aquarium plague

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterwongdude

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I use to have 11 females and 5 male guppies. Ratio not equal but male doesn't bother female. And about 56 frys. At first I own 56 frys and 1 female guppy and 5 young male. Then I bought 10 females last Monday. On Wednesday 1 male guppy gills looked ripped and white and the fin near the gill looked paralyzed spreads to other gill amd kills the male. On Thursday happened happened to another male guppy. 1 large female guppy loses it's color on the tail last Wednesday so i ignored it. While rest of the guppy ws healthy and happy. On Saturday I remember modeled my tank moving aquatic plants around the tank and added only little new aquarium soil. When I'm finished I put all the adult guppy that time 3 males and 11 females. 2 male guppy died. Then when I put guppy in the tank I saw white cottoned or white skin on top of a female guppy. And 1 male guppy with white lip. Also guppy frys was added there was also 9 4 month old guppy fry. A mistake putting guppies in the tank even though the tank looked cloudy also a mistake to put adult guppies with 1 sick guppy. The fry was separated. All 56 frys were healthy yesterday. I left them in the tank. Next day which is today I saw guppy frys with white lips too and some died also other guppies died too 1 male and 1 female. Then today @ 9:30 I went out and came back @ 12:30 found 6 fry died the 4 month old ones. Fungus starts from white spots color loss tails and white fins which looked ripped as turns out to be fungus. I then tooked out guppies with no fungus and diseases to a bucket I don't have another tank to put in about 52 frys some females gave birth some died And 2 adult females were taken out of the tank to the bucket together no problem right now as more adult died and only 1 male guppy that is hard to catch so I left it isn't infected. Now only 1 guppy fry with fungus floating and 2 females disappeared. I have put pimafix treats fungus infections into the 29 gallon tank. I make mistakes putting sick guppies with healthy ones. I wonder what's the fastest way to quarantine my 29 gallon tank as fast as possible. I own 4 Cory catfish and 3 ammano shrimps too. Please help!

Holy crap, use enter a few times in there to break up that wall of text :)

Firstly we need more information.
  1. What is your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
  2. How long has your tank been running?
  3. What is your water change schedule?
  4. Can you post a close up picture?

Fungus isn't a particularly contagious illness with fish. With that in mind I would lean more towards columnaris which means you have a much bigger problem on your hands as it can potentially wipe an entire tank out.

Read here for more information on columnaris
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

Holy crap, use enter a few times in there to break up that wall of text :)

Firstly we need more information.
  1. What is your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
  2. How long has your tank been running?
  3. What is your water change schedule?
  4. Can you post a close up picture?

Fungus isn't a particularly contagious illness with fish. With that in mind I would lean more towards columnaris which means you have a much bigger problem on your hands as it can potentially wipe an entire tank out.

Read here for more information on columnaris
Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

lol sorry about the texts. Here's what the disease look like.
Ammonia 0.04ppm
Nirate 6ppm
Tank has been running for 6 months
Water change 20% a week which I always do and no problem been doing it since last year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom