29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
is this to yellow?

Now that I have 9 black skirt tetras the schoal seems to be out and about more than they have in months :) not sure if its from the light being dimmer or the desd black skirt was a bully

The thought has crossed my mind of buying the elive led that the lfs has, and load it with 90% reds and 10% white. Yes I'm chasing reds now...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That looks green to me but I have no clue on how green it should look. The E-series light I just got is crazy bright. I guess its the same basic light as the plus pro but I have read that the par on this is a bit higher.
img_3174809_0_e1c28f71dc380f7196b114cb5b4a4e97.jpg

$189.95 on Aquacave. It looks like a really good light, but the price for a secondary light seems a little extreme. Maybe over the summer depending on my $$$ situation.

On second thought, I'm going to price out ths elive vs. the e-series. Don't want to spend money just to turn around and spend more a few months later

$189.95 on Aquacave. It looks like a really good light, but the price for a secondary light seems a little extreme. Maybe over the summer depending on my $$$ situation.

On second thought, I'm going to price out ths elive vs. the e-series. Don't want to spend money just to turn around and spend more a few months later

That's true. I forgot what retail was. A guy at Tropi-quatics here in Lombard called me to let me know the last one they had was on the clearance table for $119.00. He knew I was stopping in looking for used stuff for a planted 20.

Can't pass up a deal like that! The elive loaded with 68 individual red led's and 8 white led's should give me the red color that I am looking for without adding to much PAR

Forget the elive, you need par.. a planted plus is the path.. only you can travel..
Not all leds are created equal, of course that led could grow hc, the led on my Samsung could probably grow hc if I tried hard enough... application and technique separates the ranks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can't pass up a deal like that! The elive loaded with 68 individual red led's and 8 white led's should give me the red color that I am looking for without adding to much PAR

If you had adequate light before the egg crate woulnt it just be better to ditch the egg crate and spend the 20 for the glass top? Or am I missing something here.

Forget the elive, you need par.. a planted plus is the path.. only you can travel..
Not all leds are created equal, of course that led could grow hc, the led on my Samsung could probably grow hc if I tried hard enough... application and technique separates the ranks.

As you said ecoxotic is a sister company. The only real difference I see is the extendable mounts may be longer on the E-series.

As you said ecoxotic is a sister company. The only real difference I see is the extendable mounts may be longer on the E-series.

Planted plus is different than sat plus, confusing I know;) run in tandem with the fluval on this tank it should supply ample med. Lighting. If fish was to start from scratch I'd recommend an eseries or sat plus pro to keep life interesting. I actually like the colors in the fluval array. That purple tone is great. I had my sats on purple.and they worked great and made fish pop. That purple combined with a planted plus would work.very well id think.

Planted plus is different than sat plus, confusing I know;) run in tandem with the fluval on this tank it should supply ample med. Lighting. If fish was to start from scratch I'd recommend an eseries or sat plus pro to keep life interesting. I actually like the colors in the fluval array. That purple tone is great. I had my sats on purple.and they worked great and made fish pop. That purple combined with a planted plus would work.very well id think.

Ah yes got it now.

If you had adequate light before the egg crate woulnt it just be better to ditch the egg crate and spend the 20 for the glass top? Or am I missing something here.

I never really had the lighting I wanted. Yes green plants are growing good, well besides the stars, but its the reds that I am not happy with. Bottoms of leafs are red, but the tops are green.

Not sure we are on the same page. Red plants are red from the "sunblock" they have from blocking the red light waves, or thats what I thought I read in an article posted to one of the high techies builds. The added PAR would help growth in all the plants, and cause more algae for me..right?
I could be way off on this one though

Oh and if I had the money a sat plus pro would be heading my way, but funds in my house are tight so that won't be happening in the for seeable future.

Looking from the price aspect the finnex is $100 cheaper than the elive. I was wrong and Brookster you where right. *steps aside*
Going to look into getting a 30 inch finnex planted plus.

I never really had the lighting I wanted. Yes green plants are growing good, well besides the stars, but its the reds that I am not happy with. Bottoms of leafs are red, but the tops are green.

Not sure we are on the same page. Red plants are red from the "sunblock" they have from blocking the red light waves, or thats what I thought I read in an article posted to one of the high techies builds. The added PAR would help growth in all the plants, and cause more algae for me..right?
I could be way off on this one though

Oh and if I had the money a sat plus pro would be heading my way, but funds in my house are tight so that won't be happening in the for seeable future.

With the leaves being red on the bottom and green on the top I think you need more iron in you tank....
I forgot exactly but to get your plant fully red it's either you need more light or a bit more Iron.
I'm sure someone here can tell you exactly

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Just doing a price check with those that have a finnex planted +. Does $81.99 seem like a fair price for the 30 inch model?

Just doing a price check with those that have a finnex planted +. Does $81.99 seem like a fair price for the 30 inch model?

That's what I paid. The FugeRay is only a few dollars less than that (I thought it would have been a lot less).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will probably incest in a digital timer when i order the planted+. Run fluval for 5 hours and planted + for 5 hours with 2-3 hours over lap will put me at the same photo period length in at now.

The area I want to plant the ar mini is currently shaded slightly by the wisteria. Adding the second lights might reduce that shade, but if it doesn't could the ar still handle the slight shade. It isn't really dark, but it's noticable.

Thanks for the help and input.

Made a loose price list of the planted+, PPS-PRO, and a digital scale. Total comes out to roughly $155 which is a lot less than I thought it would be. Going to be placing the order towards the end of the month when my paycheck or tax return comes in.
Not sure how much it will be for the 5 pangio kuhlii's, AR mini, and maybe blyxa japonica. I don't think it will be over $30 with most of the price coming from the loaches.

Back
Top Bottom