29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The AR you found isn't the mini. But it is a stem plant so you can keep it trimmed to whatever height you'd like.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I will see if the lfs can get the AR I want, it will probably be a lot cheaper too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Once the weather warms up, check the classifieds. I got my AR mini from another member here. It's doing fairly well in my tank. Growth is pretty compact. I like the plant so much I purchased the big version to get a little vertical red action.

Rad-I will have to check that out.

Question on the AR. I have found Alternanthera Reineckii var. lilacina, AR var. red hygrofilia, and AR var. alternanthera rosa on the aqua enlightenment app...why must there be so many different variations?! Can anyone point me to the right variation on regular AR??
I don't want the AR "mini" because I am looking for something to go behind the stars...unless the mini can grow to ~5-6 inches

I don't want the AR "mini" because I am looking for something to go behind the stars...unless the mini can grow to ~5-6 inches

AR mini will look fantastic behind your star repens. Something about the green of the stars against the AR mini... It will get that tall if you let it.

I think it will look really cool because it will be green-red-green with the star repens, AR, and wisteria.
AR mini seems like the easiest version to get, and I need a challenging plant. Almost everything I have added has done really good, the exception is the ludwigia but it is so new I can't make final decisions.
I guess I was just expecting alot more problems with live plants :whistle:

I guess I was just expecting alot more problems with live plants :whistle:

Revisit this post after you get the AR mini going :) It's one thing to get healthy growth; getting crimson red is another thing. I call it "chasing the reds" and it will drive you crazy.
I do like the alternating color plan you mentioned.

I'm stealing the pattern idea from your tank fresh!
I was looking at the tank and started thinking "i wonder what another light with lots of red power would do for me." I think its fishenthusiast who has the signature "go reds" and I don't know if it is a team or the plants...
As of right now the only red i want is in the plants that are supposed to be red. Can't believe I said I didn't want red plants a few months ago.

On a side note I think I lost another oto :( can only find 3 now. Will check around the tank tomorrow for a body

Now just 4 months into this tank it is really cool to see not only my progress but also notes for future tanks (dimmable light, fine substrate, red are friends, dont grow algae on purpose, and buckets get old aee the first things that come to mind). I can't say it enough I really appreciate everyone's help along the way, even with all my typos lol.

Just when I think everything is going good...GBA is starting on the crypts, java fern, and wisteria. I cut off the 'infected' leafs, and am looking into how to stop it spreading. I think it looks good on the DW, but the plants...NUCLEAR WAR!!!

Ok so my findings are...my co2 levels are low, and possibly phosphates. The one crypt leaf I cut off had a little bit of GSA i think.
Won't add anymore plants until I can stop this algae from spreading.
Plan of attack-add a third co2 bottle, and change out the bottles every 3 weeks to keep the co2 fresh. End of March stsrt dry ferts to manipulate what chemicals(that the right word??) I need to keep everything balanced.

What I have read and am doing is running 2 bottles. Every week I dump one bottle and refresh it. So basically each bottle runs for 2 weeks but one is refreshed each week. I guess as the process goes on the co2 output weakens and alcohol builds up in the bottle and weakens the yeast. Cant remember where I read this at but Ill try to find it.
Edit: cant seem to find it now.

Mike - I did the same thing. Two bottles, swapped one out each week. I even used check valves on each bottle so that one could be removed and not depressurize the system. And I was crazy about adding the yeast to a small cup of sugar water that was between 105-115 F.

Made up 2 new co2 bottles and while installing them found a dried up black skirt tetra on the floor :(
Will using plexiglass as a lid interfere with the lighting at all?

Plexi glass tends to sag fairly fast. I have heard of it falling in the tank unless it hanged over the sides of the tank

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plexiglass and acrylic make crappy lids. Glass or egg crate/light diffuser panels work best

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok. Will get the egg crate/light diffuser tomorrow from home depot. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom