29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol its a 29 gal. Is it possible that some of the ammonia got broken down into nitrites then into nitrates, and the little bit of nitrates that I had where used up by the java?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ah, right. Then yeah, you could use one of the gold or blue gouramis. Plenty of room for one of those guys and they are pretty fish too. Not quite as colourful as the dwarfs, I admit, but graceful and pretty fish just the same.

My first tank ever, back in high school, was a 29G. I had a pair of Angel fish, and a pair of gold gouramis. among others. Luckily for me, they did not fight.. the tiger barbs kept them too busy I think. Tiger barbs were a terrible choice for that tank, and so were the gouramis with the Angel fish, but back then, there were not all that many choices.

Despite my goofs, they got along well enough and the Angel fish spawned regularly. Somehow I managed to get a pair that mated.. amazing. Too bad I had no idea how to help the eggs hatch.. they always got fungus and none of them hatched out. Still, fun to see them lay their eggs.

Ah, right. Then yeah, you could use one of the gold or blue gouramis. Plenty of room for one of those guys and they are pretty fish too. Not quite as colourful as the dwarfs, I admit, but graceful and pretty fish just the same.

My first tank ever, back in high school, was a 29G. I had a pair of Angel fish, and a pair of gold gouramis. among others. Luckily for me, they did not fight.. the tiger barbs kept them too busy I think. Tiger barbs were a terrible choice for that tank, and so were the gouramis with the Angel fish, but back then, there were not all that many choices.

Despite my goofs, they got along well enough and the Angel fish spawned regularly. Somehow I managed to get a pair that mated.. amazing. Too bad I had no idea how to help the eggs hatch.. they always got fungus and none of them hatched out. Still, fun to see them lay their eggs.

Ok so i am going to drop the DG amd add a school of 5 tiger barbs right? Lol jk.

What about a school of 10 madagascar rainbow fish? I saw 2 in the tank at petsmart with the red flame DG, and they didn't look to shabby

Did i read 'peaceful cichlids' in that article?!?!?!

peaceful cichlids ??? where ??? Didn't think there was any such thing :).

Actually, I think there are a few cichlid species who are not out and out aggressive, but by and large that's what they are known for.. being bullies.

If you check the species names cited, I think you'll find they are not like the African lake cichlids in temperament. Angel fish are cichlids, from South America, and they are relatively peaceful compared to many of the African lake species too. I wouldn't keep them with very small or timid species, but they're not like some of the really nasty lake cichlids. Main reason I don't keep the Africans, I just don't care for their temperament much, though some of them are truly beautiful.

I added 1 teaspoon on ammonia 40 minutes ago, and will test for ammonia in 10 min

peaceful cichlids ??? where ??? Didn't think there was any such thing :).

Actually, I think there are a few cichlid species who are not out and out aggressive, but by and large that's what they are known for.. being bullies.

If you check the species names cited, I think you'll find they are not like the African lake cichlids in temperament. Angel fish are cichlids, from South America, and they are relatively peaceful compared to many of the African lake species too. I wouldn't keep them with very small or timid species, but they're not like some of the really nasty lake cichlids. Main reason I don't keep the Africans, I just don't care for their temperament much, though some of them are truly beautiful.

Compatability section line 2.

On a serious note angels wouldn't be good in the tank if i get a pair correct?

One more minute left on 5 min waiting period, and this test tube is already really dark...

Just over 4ppm???

Attachments

• 1414548762808.jpg
    1414548762808.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 83
IMO yep. I'm not a fan of the 4 ppm level: I like it more around 2 ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I won't add anyone until I see it drop to around 2 ppm. Just wanted to get some in the tank. Now if any is converted to nitrites hopefully I will still have nitrite readings in 24 hours.

I'm not sure I'm following. Did you get ammonia up to around 3ppm, verify it with a test, then next day it's way down but you don't see nitrates?

One of the first things is, the nitrate test sucks. Shake the bottle forever and ever the first time. Go over the instructions again.

I don't know but I can't see how a few tiny plants would suck up all that nitrate.

I know you're being conscientious but it can be easier to help if you have one thread about your cycle in which there aren't other conversations. Then we can see the whole history of the cycle in one spot. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I'm not sure I'm following. Did you get ammonia up to around 3ppm, verify it with a test, then next day it's way down but you don't see nitrates?

One of the first things is, the nitrate test sucks. Shake the bottle forever and ever the first time. Go over the instructions again.

I don't know but I can't see how a few tiny plants would suck up all that nitrate.

I know you're being conscientious but it can be easier to help if you have one thread about your cycle in which there aren't other conversations. Then we can see the whole history of the cycle in one spot. But that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I never tested right away for ammonia which is my fault :(

When I test again I will make sure to shake the bottle really good. I didn't add the ammonia bottle #2 the first 2 times so it never gave me a result. Add second bottle and everything works :)

By the time you are done cycling you will be able to testing in your sleep. You'll know how many drops of X to add and to incubate for however long without having to check the instructions.
If you are not doing this already, log everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The instructions came with little log book :) the only one I didn't log is after i added ammonia for 4ppm

Instead of doing a center piece fish could I do a school of 10 zebra danio. AquaAdvisor puts my stocking level 113%, but I don't think it should be to hard ti keep balanced.

Attachments

• 1414598782378.jpg
    1414598782378.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 85
That stock is going to be very very very very busy. Zebras are crackheads, they mostly frequent the upper areas of the tank but do wander at times. I'd stay with 2 schools of 8-10 smaller tetras or barbs..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol brookster. If i drop the zebras could i add a bottom swimmer?

Lol brookster. If i drop the zebras could i add a bottom swimmer?

I had them, they gave me anxiety, trying to net them out was a nightmare haha.. what did you have in mind?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom