29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found the baby snail, amd put him in a cup with tank water so he doesn't get hurt during the water change

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Snail survived ordeal, fish will be added tomorrow afternoon

Just got back home frok store :) drip acclimating for the first time now so we shall see how everything goes :)

Attachments

• 1415490487193.jpg
    1415490487193.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 68
Should I turn my light off when i am going to add the tetras?

Turning the light off might make it less scary, they'll probably be ok either way.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

They all swam under my fake rock, then came out in the big group but still a little skiddish, and now they are swimming all over the place in smaller groups. They where hanging in the lower 6 inches a couple minutes ago, and now they are in the entire water column :)

They love the anacharis (elodea) amd also the wisteria. Live plants are working out great!!

Attachments

• 1415497346885.jpg
    1415497346885.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 1415497357026.jpg
    1415497357026.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 1415497370028.jpg
    1415497370028.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 1415497419894.jpg
    1415497419894.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 61
After realizing 3 of my 5 species are clean up crews I might add 15 neons instead of 10. More color that way, and not to much bioload added. The neons should be happier in a bigger group too.

I am going out of town this upcoming weekend so I will add the neons early the following week(the 17th)

Drip acclimatization seemed to work great. I used a tubberware container and let it fill up to ~5 inches of water the first time and ~4 inches the second and final time.

Looks good so far.

As for the question about biofilm, it is virtually all bacteria. Heterotrophic bacteria colonize water almost instantly, you can feel the slimy film in a new tank within a day or two. It contains a number of different species, some of which will be the same as the ones in the filters, many of which are not. Water also has other things in it, fungal spores, algal spores, which are in the air all over the place and grow whenever they find a suitable place to do so. But algae growing on the tank walls isn't biofilm, at least not as the term is usually used regarding aquariums.

The six month figure is simply one that is often quoted. Tanks will mature at different rates depending what you keep in them. Otos do eat biofilm, but based on what I have observed of the ones I've kept, if they don't have a fair supply of real alage to eat, they tend not to last very long. They have a natural life span of many years.. I'm not sure what the maximum is but they are not short life spans.. similar to many cories I think.

I would expect that Otos get their gut flora from their environment, and what they eat. It's probable they can get at least some new ones if they have fresh growing algae to consume. The problem arises if they starve before they can grow enough new gut flora to be able to digest enough food to carry on.

With otos being so difficult to care for I am wondering if a brittle nose pleco or 2 would be better. I am 99% sure that I will be getting am LED light and canister filter for Christmas so maybe the algae will become an issue then.

I really don't agree that Otos are hard to keep. Everyone warned me about them but ...

Well here's my history:

Bought 4 for my 29, at our best LFS, about 6 weeks after my fishless cycle. There were diatoms present. I drip acclimated them (not the pouring water in every little while method ... I used airline with a knot and literally dripped water in over an hour). They cleared the diatoms in 2 days and then appeared to be eating something I could never see off the glass and gravel and stuff. I added a half an algae water a day, they tended to eat a tiny bit but not a lot. They appear to be cleaning the tank surfaces almost all day every day.

I lost one to the power head, the other 3 did well for several months. When I moved the tank, one got injured netting and died a few days later.

Since 2 is way too few, I got 4 more, at Petsmart. They'd been in the store for a week. That was August.

And I got another 4 at another LFS in September. A species that's bigger, bolder, and more silver (yes I'm sure they are Otos). I lost one of them recently when nitrates got high while I was really sick.

The only time I lost some out of the blue was a group I got from Petsmart right after they had arrived. They died in a few days. It was also a 10 gallon in which the betta also died when the Otos did, I don't know if there was something else happening in that tank.

My one concern on Otos in your tank is lack of hiding places.

Just my 2 cents. I do have very soft water, I don't know if that makes it easier.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I have a little fake half log i can add somewhere to add more hiding spots. I can also add rock work onto the fake log

Excellent job Fish Wrangler. Your thread was a huge help for me as I just switched over my 29 gallon to a planted tank today.

Excellent job Fish Wrangler. Your thread was a huge help for me as I just switched over my 29 gallon to a planted tank today.

Thanks! I think that between this and my fishless cycle thread just about everything that goes with setting up a tank is covered

All 10 fish have survived thus far, and now beg for food when I walk up to the tank. Hopefully I can get a test in today after wrestling practice amd go from there accordingly.

Was to busy to test yesterday, but should be able to test today. I have some nice growth from the elodea stems, but am not seeing any growth from the wisteria :( the java is also doing good.

That elodea stem was maybe 1/2 inch above the bigger stem this morning. Now it is 1.5-2 inches above it

Attachments

• 1415828565793.jpg
    1415828565793.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 54
  • 1415828595766.jpg
    1415828595766.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 1415828627453.jpg
    1415828627453.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 1415828740035.jpg
    1415828740035.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 53
Couldn't get good pictures, but I saw 2 real tiny java leaves that must have formed in the past couple days.

Attachments

• 1415828810367.jpg
    1415828810367.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 1415828854244.jpg
    1415828854244.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 54
My plan when I get the new filter is to keep running the HOB now for a little extra filtration. This way when I have to clean the canister I wont have a mini cycle too.

Back
Top Bottom