29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I suppose you could cut the roots off, but I never do. I think they probably assist with feeding. You can cut the stem just below a big set of roots and replant the cutting, and the main stem will branch, or should do.

Thanks, not alot of room for a trimmed top there otherwise I would do that.

For those that use PPS-PRO how long does it last? Once I start working again and a steady paycheck is coming in I want to stop the liquid ferts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Once you stop using most kinds of ferts, whatever it was will get used up quite quickly, within days.

But you won't see any change in the plants right away, as it will take time for them to show any effects of lack of nutrition.

Should have been more specific...i meant like how long will the bottle last.

Reading the instructions on the PPS-PRO it says use distilled or RO water. Is distilled just the big 5 gallon jugs you can buy at say Jewl Osco??

Should have been more specific...i meant like how long will the bottle last.

For a 29g assuming the standard dose of 1 mL per 10 gallons, the 500 mL solution bottle should last about 5.5 months or 166 days. The amount of ferts in the PPS-Pro pack will allow you to mix several 500 mL solution bottles.
Someone check my math.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok. So it is going to last me much longer than the LeafZone...

The lemon bacopa should be here Thursday if the weather holds (Thanks RadMax!):)

I'm going to remove some anacharis, shift the amazon sword left, and plant the bacopa between the sword and wisteria.

Also noticed a tiny side runner from one of the star repens stems. :)

Give me a few hours and I will have an update ready...got some new plants :)

Lets see what did I do today...

Removed a lot of the anacharis and put it into the 10 gallon, also removed some wisteria and put it in the 10 gallon. Shifted the remaining wisteria right and the remaining anacharis left. The amazon sword moved right opening up the back a bit more for the Lemon bacopa. Also added a second anubias nana to the front of the tank, again thanks to RadMax.

This week I have actually trimmed a few of the star repens tops because of they where getting tall.

Pardon the cloudy water. Moving the plants around disturbed the bottom.

Lemon Bacopa from a topish view...Thanks RadMax!!

Top view of the star repens

Little bit different tank shot. Phone loves to make the plants near the light white.?

FTS

Your tank is really coming along. I have some star repens in a low light tank and they are doing fine. Growing quite slowly but they are (sadly) healthier looking than the ones in my high light tank.
If your camera (assuming camera phone) has a white balance setting, then use it to darken the bright spot. I'm using an iPhone. While preparing to take a pic, touch the "bright spot" on the view finder. The white balance should kick in and adjust the image to reduce the brightness.

I have a galaxy s4.

Tank has come a long ways. I still laugh when I look at post #54 in this thread...ah the bubbles.

Next thing I get is either kuhlies to finish off my stock or a few MTS. Might wait until the star repens have anchored themselves before I get MTS...or get toothpicks ;)

After looking at youtube videos and google my phone only has the preset white balance

I like wrangler! Looks very unique, well thought out:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks brookster!

I might use my dad's old IPhone to take the pictures and see how the white balance works out. That or my moms nikon camera

Has anyone heard of Stuckenia pectinata? While fishing today one of the fish I caught pulled up a decent size clump...i couldn't resist taking it home.

I added it to my 10 gallon and a few clumps in the 29. I'm hoping to grow it out and have a "carpet" behind the star repens

Has anyone heard of Stuckenia pectinata? While fishing today one of the fish I caught pulled up a decent size clump...i couldn't resist taking it home.

I added it to my 10 gallon and a few clumps in the 29. I'm hoping to grow it out and have a "carpet" behind the star repens

Not familiar but I looked it up and it appears to be native to central and northern part of the state but not the southern (Illinois). I would be curious if it adjusts to the warm temps of your tanks without melting.

Fingers crossed for it. If I acclimate it slowly everything should work out because the lake does get above 80 degrees in the summer

Fingers crossed for it. If I acclimate it slowly everything should work out because the lake does get above 80 degrees in the summer

Slowly as in over the course of several days. Like bring it in the house and let it sit at room temp for a few days first.

Thats what I am doing. I added some ice cubes to cool the water bekow room temp also

Back
Top Bottom