29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My cories eat mine... Sigh.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

jYBBLYq.png

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Now now I don't want any thong pictures next lol

Thanks for the help again fresh. Don't know where I would be without you and everyone else!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Going to see my grandma tomorrow...that also includes a trip to the lfs :)

Going to bring a cooler with and if they have black kuhlies the QT will be filled. If not I am going to ask if they can special order them for me.

Might see if they have moneywort for the far left side of my tank.

So do I! My dad says if I ask they can get me the stuff I want so that is nice.
If they can't special order I know petsmart has them.

Changing my mind again...going with regular kuhlies, Pangio Kuhlii, instead of the black kuhlies. I feel that my tank already has alot of black in it.

No trip to lfs today. Didn't leave to see my grandma when we should have. I willl just drive down sometime during the week when I am off school :):)

Weekly update time!!

Nothing much happened this week. Trimmed the tall wisteria stem and replanted it in the QT tank. Thats all that has really happened. Nice and quiet week.

If the plant I got from the lake doesn't show any signs of life next weekend it's going away. Not sure what I will put in it's place yet.

Star patch from above and the side

FTS

After more thought and advice from another member I believe my light is just to darn bright for my fish.

*Thinking out loud*

Plan of action is going to be use a screen like netting to placr under the light on the lip. I'm going to staple the netting to 1/2 inch balsa wood. One piece of netting will be on top and the other will be on the bottom. This should hopefully shadow the light for the fish, and also keep them from jumping out.
I am undecided on whether or not to go from front glass to back glass. It will be removable so when feeding I could remove it to add the food and cover it back up.

You could see if they have reptile covers for your 29 gal. This would keep wood out of the equation, as they are made out of aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You think the wood would be an issue even though it is completely out of the water?

The reptile covers I just found on petsmart website where almost $20, and they are steel.

To continue the conversation from my thread, look at where the densest concentration of plant life is in your tank......it's at the bottom. ;) THAT'S why your fish are there. There's your "sign". :D Try adding more taller/ longer frilly plants like Cabomba or Hornwort, etc. or any fine leaved plants that will grow up opposed to growing wide ( ie sword plants, crypts, etc) and that should solve the problem. I'd let them grow to fold over the surface to filter out some of the light but until they do, having the thicker plants with places to hide in should bring the fish higher up into the tank.

Hope this helps (y)

Ok. Might take out the sword and put it into the 10 gallon. Then put the wisteria I have in the 10 gallon back into the 29. Also want to get moneywort instead of hornwort, don't want the needle mess I have heard of.

Still might try the cover first and if it doesn't work then plants will be moved. Only reason I want to do this first is less movement inside the tank for the fish.

Ok. Might take out the sword and put it into the 10 gallon. Then put the wisteria I have in the 10 gallon back into the 29. Also want to get moneywort instead of hornwort, don't want the needle mess I have heard of.

Still might try the cover first and if it doesn't work then plants will be moved. Only reason I want to do this first is less movement inside the tank for the fish.

Now that I see the setup, it might not be the lighting so much but the security. Plants give security. You have a lot of open area in the middle and top portions of the tank. Tetras live amongst the plantlife. If it were me, I'd go the other route, plants first then the lighting. Just my opinion of course. ;) (y)

Now that I am thinking of it you are probably right. Before I trimmed the tall wisteria stem I would see the neons in there, they also seem to hang out in the sword.

My reasoning for the light is when I switch to blue light they come out, same thing happens when there is ambient room light. I run the blue light for 30-5 minutes before lights out so it didn't go from bright light to dark when the room lights are off.

Now that I am thinking of it you are probably right. Before I trimmed the tall wisteria stem I would see the neons in there, they also seem to hang out in the sword.

My reasoning for the light is when I switch to blue light they come out, same thing happens when there is ambient room light. I run the blue light for 30-5 minutes before lights out so it didn't go from bright light to dark when the room lights are off.

So the thought process is: With open area comes ability to be seen. Brighter lights enhance that ability to be seen ( and possibly be eaten), Plants, even in the brighter light, give more security and ability to hide in them, dimming lights, could cause high light level plants to not survive, bushy plants in brighter light offer both security and shade when allowed to overgrow and stretch across the surface........this is why I suggest plants first then light dimming. ;) (y)

And this is why i have 2 tanks and you are a breeder. Will switch plants around tomorrow night or Wednesday when I am off school.

Plan A: Remove amazon sword and put into 10 gallon. Take big wisteria top from 10 gallon and placd in 29.

Plan B: if Plan A doesn't work use mesh screen

Looking at the tank roght now. 95% of the neons are out of hiding but still in the bottom 4 inches by the star repens. They are joined by 1-4 black skirt tetras, they are moving around. The rest of the black skirts are on the back wall in the anacharis.

This is with the white light on.

Edit: 25 minutes after watching TV by the tank and a handful of the neons are venturing the top of the wisteria. They where also moving to the top of the crypts, not the tallest leaf but the other tall ones. Fish and women...I will never will fully understand.

*Disclaimer* I mean no offense to anyone

Looking at the tank roght now. 95% of the neons are out of hiding but still in the bottom 4 inches by the star repens. They are joined by 1-4 black skirt tetras, they are moving around. The rest of the black skirts are on the back wall in the anacharis.

This is with the white light on.

Edit: 25 minutes after watching TV by the tank and a handful of the neons are venturing the top of the wisteria. They where also moving to the top of the crypts, not the tallest leaf but the other tall ones. Fish and women...I will never will fully understand.

*Disclaimer* I mean no offense to anyone

Heck, I'm the latter and *I* don't even understand my fellow ladies some times... No offense taken!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Back
Top Bottom