29 Gallon Planted Build...Advice Appreciated!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bottoms of the stem? I think they do but I am not sure. They sprout roots where new stems branch. I know once I got the fluval light they really took off. Them stems are probably a foot above the water line if I stretch them out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bottoms of the stem? I think they do but I am not sure. They sprout roots where new stems branch. I know once I got the fluval light they really took off. Them stems are probably a foot above the water line if I stretch them out.

Yes on the bottoms on the stem there like "roots" not like Anubias or sword roots but just thick long roots to latch on. That's what happened to mine

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

That sounds normal.

Next time I go to the lfs I'm going to see if they would take these black skirt tetras and some plants off my hands. The black skirts are school yard bullies imo. They don't school up like most tetras, they claim territories and chase other fosh away, and they are not coloring back up to what they used to look like. They are more of a silver than the silver front half with black stripes and a black back half.
Want to wait until I get the 24/7 to see if they just don't like my current light before I make a final decision.

Went with Omega One Natural Protein Formula flakes, it seemed like a good choice given my options of topfin, omega one, tetra, and National Geographic. Going to see how the fish like it now :)

The thought crossed my mind of changing my stock if I remove the black skirt tetras. 1 GBR pair, 3 otocinclus, 19 neon tetras, 5 kuhli loaches, and ~10 ghost shrimp. Any input of this? Again this is just a thought if I remove the black skirts.

Went with Omega One Natural Protein Formula flakes, it seemed like a good choice given my options of topfin, omega one, tetra, and National Geographic. Going to see how the fish like it now :)

Out of that list you made the right choice. Omega One is my second choice only to NLS. Might sound funny but I'm feeding the Thera A + Garlic 1mm sinking pellets to the rams and the neon's The neon's love them and swim with one until it softens then eats it. But once I run out I'll get the .5mm to make it easier for them.

The thought crossed my mind of changing my stock if I remove the black skirt tetras. 1 GBR pair, 3 otocinclus, 19 neon tetras, 5 kuhli loaches, and ~10 ghost shrimp. Any input of this? Again this is just a thought if I remove the black skirts.

I like this plan! Only thing might be a shrimp get picked off here and there by the rams.

I can live with a few less shrimp. If I really wanted to I could add the shrimp to my 10 gallon and use a fine prefilter on the intake tube. Let them grow a colony so I can replace any that get lost in the 29 gallon.
Where did you get your rams from since you are the closest person to me with a planted tank?

The long fin male came from tropi-quatics in Lombard. The female came from aquarium adventure. Don't get the long fin if you don't want Brookster to yell at you. Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tropi quatics has a web site with their hours.

Thanks! Will definitely keep Aquarium Adventure in mind.
As long as I don't pm him to check something out I don't think brookster is following...he may be lurking though lol

Just passing through.... don't mind me....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And there is the lurking lol. Thanks for checking in brookster.

If you are looking for GBR maybe contact Mark from Palatine. He breeds them locally. As for Aquarium Adventure, I have had very bad luck with buying fish from them.

Another place to check is with Steve at Fish Planet in Deerfield. He hosted a nice aquascaping demo last weekend in his store presented by Mr Shaw of the AGA.

If you are looking for GBR maybe contact Mark from Palatine. He breeds them locally. As for Aquarium Adventure, I have had very bad luck with buying fish from them.

Another place to check is with Steve at Fish Planet in Deerfield. He hosted a nice aquascaping demo last weekend in his store presented by Mr Shaw of the AGA.

Will have to check out Fish Planet this weekend. Do you have any experience with Fish Planet?

If you do go to aquarium adventure u do have to be careful. Look close at what your buying. I have had problems there and recommend quarantine. The last 3 purchases I made there were my Lionsi, midevil and the female ram. No problems with them. The bollingbrook store is better than the Hoffman estates store. Of course if you can find a local breeder that's the best.

Bollingbrook is a little far for me. I'm 20 minutes from the cheddar curtain. Don't know how you city people drive in all that traffic! Lol

Dude.. order from yunite if possible. You won't regret it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Will have to check out Fish Planet this weekend. Do you have any experience with Fish Planet?

I have no first hand experience with them. Saw a posting on plantedtank about a aquascaping demo and went. The owner, Steve, was on hand and he was great to talk to about fish and plants. He also hinted at some new things that he is trying to bring into his store pertaining to aquatic plants. It is an hour drive for me to get there and I will definitely give him a call for my next fish acquisitions before going back to Aquarium Adventure.

Fish Planet for equipment not GBR brookster.

New plan also...if black skirts don't pick it up and come out more they are going to be moved to the 10 gallon. At that point the 10 gallon is no longer a qt tank. Would also get the GBR pair at that time. Gbrs leave qt as black skirts are moved to it permanently.

I have no first hand experience with them. Saw a posting on plantedtank about a aquascaping demo and went. The owner, Steve, was on hand and he was great to talk to about fish and plants. He also hinted at some new things that he is trying to bring into his store pertaining to aquatic plants. It is an hour drive for me to get there and I will definitely give him a call for my next fish acquisitions before going back to Aquarium Adventure.

Feel free to post here or a thread link how you felt about the store here. I will do the same after I go down.

Back
Top Bottom