29 gallon stocking question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zach103

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon tank with 3 fish in it right now.. a red tailed shark, Pink kissing lips, and a hilfin spotted pleco(may be exchanged for something smaller). mow my question is can i put in a school of 5 red phantom tetras and not be over crowded??

No, the fish in it need a bigger tank as it is. The red tailed black shark needs bigger tank along with the pleco.

Is the pink kissing lips a gourami?

sorry, but you are overstocked already, the kissing gourami needs at least 55 gallons to live happily, defenitely get rid of that pleco he needs 100+ gallons, and your red tail shark would do better in 55 gallons.

However, if you remove the gourami and the pleco, then the tetras would be okay. I guess the red tail would do ok in that tank, but dont stock much more than that

i wouldn't even keep the RTBS in there, its a very active fish that needs plenty of room to swim

ok so pretty much get rid of all the fish because their in too small of a tank?? what would be some appropriate fish to be in that size tank. i want a small school and than 2 or 3 other fish

how about the tetras than 2 german rams and a Blue Johanni Cichlid

or do you know of any pink fish. the gf likes the pink kissing lips so shes mad that it wont work in the tank.. than i can do like 5 tetras the german blues, the blue chichlid and a pink fish.

how about the tetras than 2 german rams and a Blue Johanni Cichlid

The Johanni does not belong in that tank, for several reasons.

or do you know of any pink fish. the gf likes the pink kissing lips so shes mad that it wont work in the tank.. than i can do like 5 tetras the german blues, the blue chichlid and a pink fish.

Try pearl or purple passion danios.

Kribensis cichlids have some pink

Kribs coudl work also.

zach103 said:
For what reasons?? just so i know when looking for hte other fish

It's an African cichlid, and generally African cichlids are not to be mixed in any type of community setup. They have different water conditions and preferences from every other fish besides Africans, grow six inches long and can be fairly aggressive.

so if i were to get an african cichlid than the whole tank would have to be african cichlids??

I think im going to do 5 tetras and a pair of german blue rams for now

zach103 said:
so if i were to get an african cichlid than the whole tank would have to be african cichlids??

I think im going to do 5 tetras and a pair of german blue rams for now

Probably. People keep them with plecos though. Usually it's only African cichlids together.

That sounds fine to me :)

ok so i have 2 long fin rams. and just picked up a sun catfish but im not sure if im realy happy with it.. it hides too much for me i feel like.. i was just wondering if it was typical for the first couple days or do they always stay that way and if they stay like that ill prolly go with a different fish.. i like the look of sharks and catfish but want one that will be active but go along with the long fins

Back
Top Bottom