29 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenema

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was planning out a 20 gallon tank but I went to a flea market and just bought a 29 gallon for $25! I have been thinking about what to put in it but I would love some advice. I will be planting it with a marimo moss ball, java fern, anubias, and maybe another easy plant. Here is the plan I have right now:
5 zebra danio
5 neon tetra
4 panda Cory
4 oto
3 ghost shrimp
2 guppies (female)
1 dwarf gourami
1 Dalmatian Molly
According to AqAdvisor my stocking level is 91%. Is there anything else I could add that would be interesting? Or is there something I should do different?

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't do gouramis with Zebra Danios. Zebras are known to nip long-finned, slow-moving fish. The guppies may also get nipped. Also, mollys are brackish fish, which is not a good fit with the rest of your stocking.

If you're going to do shoaling fish like tetras and danios, you'll want a bare minimum of six of each species. You could probably get away with four corys, but five or more is much better.

In general, your tank will look nicer with fewer species and higher numbers of each species.

I was told schooling and shoaling fish do better in odd numbers, that's why I did 5.
I chose the molly because I think they're really cool looking and I wanted a larger fish. Is there something I could put in place of the molly?

I was told schooling and shoaling fish do better in odd numbers, that's why I did 5.

Not true.

I chose the molly because I think they're really cool looking and I wanted a larger fish. Is there something I could put in place of the molly?

Do you know your tap water pH, GH, and nitrate levels (if any)?

If you get female Guppies you'll prob get babies. The adults are usually already pregnant.

Mollies can be bullies. I consider them Semi aggressive.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visit your mom and pop lfs and get an idea of what is really out there. It almost seems your stock was designed by Petco.

I was in your shoes a year ago when I bought my 29g Aqueon kit and asked for suggestions for fish.

PNWaquarist, I can definitely add a danio, tetra, and Cory.
I'm not sure of my tap water but I have a 5 gallon set up right now and all of my levels are where they should be (don't remember exact numbers and I'm on vacation so I can't check). My pH in that has consistently been 7.8 I believe. And the water in the tank is soft.

Coursair, someone I knows guppy just had babies and I said I would take two females off his hands.

Apr28, I only have 2 lfs in my area, one doesn't have many options, basically the same as what would be in a petsmart or petco, the other mainly does salt water and is a bit of a drive so I haven't been there in a while and don't remember what they have.

Could I do rasbora heteromorpha instead of danios and a platy instead of a molly? I don't know much about those fish.

Could I do rasbora heteromorpha instead of danios and a platy instead of a molly? I don't know much about those fish.

Harlequin rasboras are nice, peaceful fish and are relatively hardy. Platys prefer moderately hard to hard water, but are a little more adaptable than mollies.

I would not limit my tank stocking to what is available within driving distance. There are many good mail-order suppliers out there.

Since 29 gallon tanks have ample vertical space, I suggest finding good stock that occupy different strata of the tank, and selecting a nice centerpiece fish. For example:

Top/middle: 1 Pearl Gourami (centerpiece) + 8 Harlequin Rasboras

Middle/bottom: Either 10 Neon Tetras OR 6 Cherry Barbs

Bottom: Either 6 cory catfish (Sterbai, Leopard, or Peppered) OR 5-6 small loaches (Zebra or Kuhli)

Or something like that.

Coursair, someone I knows guppy just had babies and I said I would take two females off his hands.

[emoji106] underage females are less liable to be pregnant. I'm just not a fan of filling my tank with Livebearer fry over and over [emoji12]

Not unless I was planning the breeding.

What other suggestions would you guys have for fish if I was to do mail order or find another shop? You can give me a stocking list or just a few fish you like that would go well in a peaceful community tank.

If you're gonna suggest Loaches, Dwarf Chain Loaches are awesome.

I like Harlequin Rasboras
Cherry Barbs
Glowlight Tetras

Rummynose are more sensitive but are lovely in large groups.

I would go with dwarf chain, angels and rainbow fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

2- Apisto/Ram
6- Lemon Tetra
8- Pencilfish
6- Dainty Cory
1- Bristlenose Pleco

or

1- Dwarf Gourami
6- Cherry Barbs
6- Kuhli Loaches
8- Chili rasbora
1- SAE

If you're gonna suggest Loaches, Dwarf Chain Loaches are awesome.

Yep, and now that I think about it Zebras are probably too big for a 30" long tank. Dwarf Chains or Kuhlis are probably the way to go.

I like Harlequin Rasboras
Cherry Barbs
Glowlight Tetras

They're all relatively hardy and easy to keep as well.

Rummynose are more sensitive but are lovely in large groups.

If they have soft water, subdued lighting, and heavy planting, they're great. Otherwise, they'll cower in the corner in a tight shoal. Mine are so much happier now that my tank is more heavily planted and the pH has dropped down to about 6.7 (from driftwood tannins).

I would go with dwarf chain, angels and rainbow fish

A 29 could hold one adult angel and it would be a tight fit when they're fully grown.

Can a ram and a dwarf gourami live together?

Can a ram and a dwarf gourami live together?

Single rams are relatively peaceful. Pairs are semi-aggressive towards tankmates when breeding, but peaceful when not actively tending to eggs or fry.

I'd recommend a single Bolivian Ram over a Blue Ram for the average community tank. Blue Rams need higher temperatures (80-86 F), very clean water, do not like sudden changes in water parameters and, from what I've heard, tend to bloat easily. And you'll want to get them directly from a reputable breeder, as the vast majority of the stock in fish stores are inbred and/or fed hormones by breeders in Asia. These fish die quickly. Most of the Bolivian Ram stock out there is much hardier and will handle temps down to 75 F without their immune systems being compromised.

I would definitely only get one, I have no intentions of breeding. Thank you for the info! I definitely have some planning to do lol. Do you know how I would go about finding reputable breeders in my area?

Back
Top Bottom