29 gallon suprise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
okay today i checked my levels again... been adding 50 ml of ammonia every day... puts it to about 4ppm sometimes 5 daily

todays levels... before adding ammonia

Ammonia 0.... should i be worried or pleased?
N02 1ppm could this be my spike? how high is a normal spike?
NO3 20
ph7.8

good bad... ugly?

-Brad

Good. The 0 ammonia means that you've developed enough bacteria to convert the 4-5ppm of ammonia you're dosing daily. Now, it's a different bacteria that converts the nitrIte, and you're just waiting for them to catch up to what the first type of bacteria can do, then you're done.

Keep feeding the ammonia so that those bacteria don't starve to death waiting on the others.

Also, your NO3 measurements are likely unrealistic, as IME high 'trites will cause that test to not read accurately. It's good to see if they're moving or not, but don't be surprised if it holds at 20ish, then the day your 'trIte drops to 0 they jump up to 40. Mine just did that to me a few days ago, and every tank I've cycled has acted that way.

so when i go to my tank in the morning.. and it reads 0 N02... im done?

Hi Brad,

Give it a day or two, if it stays 0, I think most likely your cycle is done, and time to PWC. What's the whole readings on the parameter?

i only did the 3.. because i assumed that thats all i needed... i tested everything else yesterday... it should all be on page 12 of the thread... this thing better turn out good if its costing all you people this much reading time lol

-Brad

lol - you're right, only worry about Ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte for now. I didn't even bother with nitrAte until the cycle was done. Just a waste of test kit IMO.

But yes, when everything hits 0, you're done. Dose ammonia 1 more time and make sure it's all gone in 24 hours to be sure, but that's it. Large water change to get nitrAtes down, and you're all set.

sweet... how high do no2s usually go up before they go down... just cant wait to get some turbos in there to eat up this hair algae.

-Brad

Hard to say. I only saw mine get to 2, but it depends on how much bacteria you already had and a lot of factors.

Previous fishless cycles (FW) I've seen them get to over 5

my freshwater went off the chart. but i figured there was a world of difference.

-Brad

the only difference is that your rock was somewhat live when you put it in. Compare that to a freshie using seed material, and there's no difference in what you're doing now vs. what you did in your FW tank.

Sounds like you are doing a great job! I just wanted to add onto Neilan's don't waste your pH test during the cycle either. On the pH, make sure you measure it around the same time each as it will fluctuate between lights on/off.

i have only been testing the 3... and SG.. when i had the outburst of hair algae i wanted to do a complete test.

does anyone have any ideas on what that spongue thing with tenticles is... its kinda concerning me now.

-Brad

how much is too much ammonia to add..

today i raised it to 5 ppm at 6 this morning... 3 in the afternoon ... and now at 10pm.. all the times dropping to .5ppm this time it was .25ppm... is this way overkill... seems like alot

thanks

-Brad

o yeah... is it normal for my NO2 to stay at 1ppm... it literally hasent moved in 3 days..

Let me see if I got this straight. You're dosing 5ppm ammonia multiple times per day (6am, 3pm, 10pm)

No need to dose more than once a day. Dose it to 5ppm and then don't do anything for 24 hours.

no, it's good, but it's also probably why your nitrItes are holding.

Dose once a day, bacteria don't need breakfast, lunch and dinner. Just a single daily meal is sufficient.

also i had a question regarding some of the filter feeding hitch hikers... should i be trying to feeding them... like putting a little flake food in every couple days?

-Brad

Not to sound inhumane, but some will make it through and others won't. You will really be surprised at what you see in your tank after about three months.

my skimmer is the one for the biocube made by oceanic... my heater is a fully submersiable... aqua care or something like that...

new development...

N02 .5ppm im soooo excited... it literally like the days building up to christmas.

also this morning i flick on the lights and the bottom rock is COVERED and when i say covered i mean... 30-50 of them scurrying to find holes. also ive notice quite a few of those amphipods. is this really good or really bad?

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom