29 Gallon Tank Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkeller81

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just moved the inhabitants of my 29 gallon tank into a 55. This leaves me with an empty 29 gal. I’m looking for something larger to put in the 30, 3 or less total fish. But I don’t want them to out grow the tank. I’m open to either marine or fresh water ideas. Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks ahead of time.

what kind of fish are in your new 55, if there ones that could be feeder feeder fish, of ghost shrimp, thats a possibility of breeding food

i dont reccommend a marine tank because they usually need a bit more room, and arent always the smallest fish (except for clown fish, dont anyone call them nemo's) i mean you could get like a starfish in the 29 marine, or an urchin, even a couple of snails...

3 Giant Danios
4 Small Clown Loaches
1 Kuhli Loach
1 Snakeskin Gourami
and 1 Clown Pleco

How about a pair of rams or Apistos?

They would be really small to have a 29g tank by themselves, but they would probably breed. You could plant it heavily.

I have thought about a cichlid tank. A good friend of mine, and very knowledgeable aquarist, is trying to talk me into breeding convicts. How much work is this? I'm sure he could point me in the right direction if i had any questions. He has a 10 gal set up as a brine shrimp hatchery, which i suppose i could do if necessary. Any other cichlids sepecies that anyone can recommend?

Well I decided to definitely breed cichlids in a planted tank. Now it's just a matter of species. It's down between Bolivian Rams and Convicts. You all seem to be Rams fans here. I do not know much about them. What is their personality type? I also did not find a whole lot of info online about breeding them but I'm sure this forum will be a lot of help. Any other information from anyone that has or has had them would be helpful. Thanks

Also thanks EdgarMedina1010 for the link. I got some great ideas for both my 55 and 30.

I'm also considering breeding some Cichlids. One thing I've noticed is that _every_ fish store around here seems to have convicts, including lots of young and adults. Almost none have GBRs or Bolivian rams. I would look around your area and see what is and what isn't available. Then fill the hole in supply.

Okay looks like my LFS will be willing to take some convicts off my hands in the future. Is 3 plus a pleco a good number for a 29 gal tank? or am I going to be overcrowded?

If you are guaranteed a pair, then just 2 will be fine. No need for excess aggression in that small of tank. Plus you will have plenty of babies, lol.

Last year at this time I never thought I would be calling a 30 gal tank small. My how things have changed... Already looking for a deal for something in the 200+ range lol. I am going with the convicts. As long as I can get them to pair. But hopefully they'll feel that they will feel that they are in a last man and woman on earth scenario and pair for me. Thanks for all the help everyone and I'll keep you updated.

i have a 20 long that I was planning on useing, but I belive that i have a 30 in my attic that I can use if you think i should

Back
Top Bottom