29g Biocube... Any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gungud10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got a brand new biocube 29 gal for $80. I know, cheap, don't ask lol. Anyway, wondering what I should do with it. I want alot of color. And originality. I don't want a replica of the finding nemo cast haha. Anyone have any suggestions?

If you want corals you need to upgrade your light... But if you are doing a FOWLR I may suggest an orchid dottyback, a yellowtailed blue damsel, and maybe something else..

I want corals! What kinds!?

How do I upgrade my lighting??

I'm sorry but what is FOWLR? noob to abbreviations :/

You can keep corals with the lighting you have now, you'll just have to stick to soft corals like various polyps, zoanthids, mushrooms, and ricordea, and LPS corals

So you're saying I can't have like a nem with the lighting I have now? I seen the nanotuners light mod. It's not cheap. But would get if it is necessary. I read good reviews on it.

Also, should I go with live sand or coral rubble? Or a mix of both?

I would say sand personally, dry is fine. I don't believe in paying extra for "live" sand when its been in a bag for so long..pretty much just wet sand. All the bacteria you will need will come from your live rock. Don't forget to rinse the sand before placing it in the tank though, it helps reduce the cloudiness.

Edit* Sand will also give you more selection in fish and invertebrates since some can not live with the crushed coral.

Also anemones should be in a tank that is at least a year old, they need stable water conditions, and they need good lighting which i assume you don't have. I would look into getting new lights if you want a lot of corals. What lighting do you have now?

The lighting I have now is just the stock lighting for the bio cube. It's two bulbs. Idk what size or output. But one is actinic and the other is full spectrum white. And moon light LEDs. The booklet it came with said it's perfect for corals but doesn't specify which type which is why I'm here. I'm not going to throw a nem in there right a way! I know there's a system of doing this hobby and plan to stick to them. Just want to gather as much info as possible. Another coral I was looking at was the open brain coral?

No, as it sits now it couldn't support a nem, if you really wanted to though the nanotuners mod would be the best for the price though

Yes I seem the nanotuners mod. And will get it. But I'm confused as to what exactly it is. Is it just another bulb assembly? And what bulbs should it be?

Oh, I thought you were looking at the LED one. If you're referring to that then yes, I believe its another PC bulb, but it will help. If I were you I'd probably get 3 50/50's or 1 10000K, an actinic, and a 50/50 in the middle. But I like a balanced blue-white color.

Do I leave the 10000k and actinic lights running all day together?

If you can most people will do a 10-12 hour cycle. Using timers will make this easier to set the actinic bulb to be on an hour before and after the 10000K, and having the 10000K on for 8 or 10 hours

So turn the actinic on an hour before the 10k and leave it on an hour after the 10k? Now this cube has 3 LED moon lights. What are these good for??

Back
Top Bottom