29g Biocube Over Heating Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelby2185

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there! I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with upgrading their biocube fans? I am concerned with the fact that I live in Florida and Summer is rapidly approaching...and I'm afraid of my tank over heating. I keep my house pretty cool during the winter (around 70-72 degrees), but it's going to be pretty costly to keep it at that during the summer. Right now the tank is running a steady 78 degrees. I am trying to decide whether I should sink my money into upgrading to LED's or the possibility of upgrading the fan (not sure if this is possible). I've already replaced the stock pump with a Maxi Jet 1200 and added the Biocube UV sterilizer. Working on purchasing the media rack from InTank and a Tunze 9002. Right now I am only purchasing lps, and not so concerned with purchasing any sps any time soon.
I've read that some of you open the back compartment or the front lid to help cool off the tank, but I would really like to do something a little more aesthetically pleasing than that.

Anyways, here's a little info on my tank inhabitants:
1 Coral Beauty
1 Firefish Goby
1 6 Line Wrasse
2 Ocellaris Clownfish

1 Fire Shrimp
1 Skunk Shrimp
1 Fighting Conch
1 Sand-Sifting Starfish
1 Tiger Tail Sea Cucumber
and a couple misc snails and hermits

Here's a link to a video of the tank...wish it was better quality!

Thanks!

Just a few pics. :)

Attachments

• image-4056537058.jpg
    image-4056537058.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 216
  • image-422459725.jpg
    image-422459725.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 137
  • image-2811170412.jpg
    image-2811170412.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 125
  • image-426582393.jpg
    image-426582393.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 113
  • image-1148757097.jpg
    image-1148757097.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 127
I also live in florida and have a 29g cube. :) My tank runs at a constant 81 degrees. A little higher than I';d like but as long as it's stable then youre doing good.

carey said:
I also live in florida and have a 29g cube. :) My tank runs at a constant 81 degrees. A little higher than I';d like but as long as it's stable then youre doing good.

Ok, thanks Carey! I just get nervous when I see it get close to 80 degrees. Do you have just the stock lighting?

Yep. i keep the back comaprtment door open most all day and even the front one when I'm home. It helps alot. The stock lighting just heats that thing up lol

I had the same issue, it bothered me so much I broke the bank and upgraded to LED's. No more issues. But yes keeping the back open will help and when your near the tank you can open the front also.

That is a great looking tank! Looked to see if I could get my rock pieces are too big. It's my first tank also a 29gl but I got quite big bits.

Convict2161 said:
I had the same issue, it bothered me so much I broke the bank and upgraded to LED's. No more issues. But yes keeping the back open will help and when your near the tank you can open the front also.

I've been following your posts on your upgrades. When you were looking into resolving your heat issue did you just got straight into deciding that you were going to switch out the lighting or did you or anyone else suggest just upgrading the fan? I'm just trying to see if that would be a cheaper and easier upgrade. I would definitely love to do the light upgrade (like yours), but if I can get by w/just a $150-200 mod right now I'd prefer to do that instead. My LFS quoted me at about $550 to purchase and install the led unit you have. So I bet you can understand why I am weighing all my options right now. ;)
I don't mind opening the back compartment when it gets too hot, but with having nothing in the second chamber at this moment the water fall noise is quite loud. I'm hoping I will be able to add a media rack and protein skimmer soon though.

Boolay1978 said:
That is a great looking tank! Looked to see if I could get my rock pieces are too big. It's my first tank also a 29gl but I got quite big bits.

Thanks! When I went to my LFS I had the owner helped me pick out the rocks and form them into the u-shaped cave look. I took a ton of pics before we took it apart at the store, but as we all know it's nearly impossible to get it back to the way we had it setup. If your rocks are too big you can always break the up. I like your setup too! I love looking on this forum to get to different ideas. :)

Hey Shelby did you take out your bio balls in your second chamber? I did from several recommendations along with the blue sponge and placed protein skimmer in second chamber. That way you can fill water all way up until it starts to over flow from the four slots separating tank and sump. NO water flow noise!! I also have heating issue and just leave front and back open during day. Easy fix just not perfect from aesthetic point of view.

Jems said:
This is what mine looks like.

I also have a cheap sponge filter next to protein skimmer for use in QT when I need it it's already been cycled for immediate use.

Jems said:
I also have a cheap sponge filter next to protein skimmer for use in QT when I need it it's already been cycled for immediate use.

My tank is brand new. Only setup for a little over 2.5 months. I removed the bio balls and the drip tray. I will be purchasing the media rack from inTank and a Tunze 9002 soon. That's a good idea to have the sponge filter ready to go.
I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with upgrading the fan. Seems like it would be a cheaper mod, but from what I've seen so far everyone just goes straight to moding the lights. I guess if it gets too hot before I can do my LED mod I'll just open the back chamber. :)
Thanks!

Ok good just add more water until noise goes away. The indicator on the left side can be ignored if not using bio balls.

I also lift my filter cartridge upwards maybe an inch to get a better flow into camber 2. The filter clogs quickly and reduces flow so that step is needed.

Shelby post a picture of your cube. I'd like to see it.

Never mind I just saw your video. Nice!

Back
Top Bottom