29g nano cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deejay62

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi reefers, it's been a while since I have been on. I would like your humble opinions and advice: if I want to replace old sand and add new live sand to the tank, how would I do that?

Personally I wouldn't there are so many things that would have to be done. IMO a nightmare.

DJ, why do you want to change your sand?

I have never changed my bottom in a tank unless I have swapped tanks or moved. It will stir up a ton of muck. Even then I kept a majority of the old crushed coral even though I wanted sand just because of all the beneficial bacteria and organisms it holds.

I would say only good way to do it is put everything in another empty tank with water from your current tank dig out the old bottom and replace. Not something I would recommend just for a different bottom.

DJ, why do you want to change your sand?

I have never changed my bottom in a tank unless I have swapped tanks or moved. It will stir up a ton of muck. Even then I kept a majority of the old crushed coral even though I wanted sand just because of all the beneficial bacteria and organisms it holds.

I would say only good way to do it is put everything in another empty tank with water from your current tank dig out the old bottom and replace. Not something I would recommend just for a different bottom.

I just thought the sand needed a facelift.LOL! It's so full of those spaghetti worms and it looks like a graveyard of crud, literally.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398971132.417737.jpg

Siphon it out over a couple months during wc's is what I would do if I were undertaking this. When it comes time to replace the sand use a length of PVC about 5-6" longer than your tank is deep and a funnel to get the sand exactly where you want it with as little mess as possible.

Back
Top Bottom