3.7 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kriche28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I just got this new tank and I've always want to do a pico tank in our room.
I got this tank from Petco Its called
Imagitarium 3.7 deluxe pro. Its a pretty decent tank.
So it comes with a LED clamp on light
with 3 settings: white , white-blue & blue.
I believe its only 3 watts. The stock pump is only 40gph but I already changed it to the Rio+ 90 for now and got a 50watt heater also. I got a 4lbs of live rock and 4-5lbs of live sand. This is the first day cycle.
I need some advice on what to get or upgrades so I can be successful on a pico tank.
thanks

Attachments

• Image1485750414.143751.jpg
    Image1485750414.143751.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 309
Looks cool!
What media are you running the filter?
First get a better light. I wouldn't know a specific one that small, but look around on Ebay or Amazon.
That's going to be a crucial step for corals.
ALSO
***SMALL TANKS CAN AND WILL GO SEPTIC FAST*** if not cared for properly!!!!
I say this because I have experienced it myself, and that was in a system almost 5x your size.
Keep an eye on all your levels, daily. It will change fast.
Don't feed too much, if you even get fish.
I'd recommend a tin goby, maybe a clown goby or watchman if you really want to get fish. If not, just stick with some shrimp.
Also I don't know if you get enough flow in there from the Rio 90, you don't want any dead zones (areas of no flow) so consider a small pump or other powerhead.
Pico tanks are cool, but a lot of work!

Looks cool!
What media are you running the filter?
First get a better light. I wouldn't know a specific one that small, but look around on Ebay or Amazon.
That's going to be a crucial step for corals.
ALSO
***SMALL TANKS CAN AND WILL GO SEPTIC FAST*** if not cared for properly!!!!
I say this because I have experienced it myself, and that was in a system almost 5x your size.
Keep an eye on all your levels, daily. It will change fast.
Don't feed too much, if you even get fish.
I'd recommend a tin goby, maybe a clown goby or watchman if you really want to get fish. If not, just stick with some shrimp.
Also I don't know if you get enough flow in there from the Rio 90, you don't want any dead zones (areas of no flow) so consider a small pump or other powerhead.
Pico tanks are cool, but a lot of work!

For the light I am eyeing this wave-point blade high ouput clamp on. 12 watt led lamp. 6-10k - 6-super blue. Hopefully this will work.
What can you recommend for the lighting?

For the media filter I just use what it came from the tank for now but I will change it soon.
Any recommendations? [emoji846]

How much gph do I need for the right flow for a 3.7 gallon?

I found one at amazon for $14.99
Hydor Pump 200 gph

The Hydor looks good, should give you plenty of flow IMO hooked up as your return.
For media, I just recommend some filter floss, maybe some bioballs in that back chamber too.
Just remember to change out filter floss regularly, or at least keep an eye on it because that's where a lot of debris will end up and can cause some nitrate problems. You honestly don't need a ton of media in that tank, maybe just throw some live rock rubble in there too.

okay got it [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I will just post an update soon on what I have so far.

thank you [emoji106]

I personally don't think you can keep any Sw fish in a tank that small. Shrimp or crabs maybe. Some small corals also.

I dont think I want to put fish in there.
Like you said a shrimp or crab might work.
I just want to put like some small corals only [emoji106]

I don't have a problem with small corals just remember that small corals turn into big corals. I have corals that used to be the size of a quarter that are now the size of a volleyball. You might have to do some fragging to keep them respectable.

[emoji106] okay got it.

thank you for the advise. right now I will let the tank cycle for awhile until I get all my stuff from amazon.
thanks again [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

update

I changed the stock light into a 12 watt led 10K/super blue from wave point HO.
Also changed the pump into a hydor 200 gph.

Image1486096795.763841.jpgImage1486096816.980935.jpgImage1486096833.030492.jpgImage1486096849.473583.jpg

Sweet!
Now just keep an eye on your levels, you could probably already throw in a hermit or 2 if your levels are good?
If I remember correctly you used some live rock so you shouldn't see much of a cycle.

I havent check my levels yet because the test kit has not come yet, might be coming today or tomorrow so I will post some pictures what the levels are [emoji106]

yea I do have a live rock that is cured from my local fish store. is that good?

Yes, that live rock is very good. Contains ton of beneficial bacteria and other organisms that will break down waste.

alright thats good [emoji106]

this light will be good if i keep easy corals right? or do i need more watts than that? i've seen alot on par38/par30

do i need more gph than that? or that works fine?

Back
Top Bottom