3 filters in a 55 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquabeast

Aquarium Advice FINatic
well, long story short, i have a very messy shubunkin goldfish,3 silver dollars, 3 angels and a whole lot more.. im running a tetra whisper ex 75, a aqueon quiet flow 30, and a tetra whisper 40 i. is it a bit much? if so, which one should i drop?

I don't believe a tank can be overfiltered, personally. As long as the multiple filters aren't creating so much turbulence and flow in the water that your fish are getting blown around, I think you're probably ok.

You do have the option, however, of getting a single larger, higher quality filter if you wanted to. Canister filters are well known to outperform those filters that you mentioned. Not required by any means, just something to consider.

Just want to backup Neilan's comments. You cannot overfilter. I actually think you should replace the 40 and 30 with another 70 gallon rated filter if you cannot buy a canister.

As for canisters, I would recommend a Fluval FX5 if you can afford one.

in my area, im not sure that my lfs sells them.. they sell canisters, but not sure of the brands.. and their canisters, even for cheap, are around 100 bucks..

An FX5, IMHO, would be overkill for a 55g. A fluval 405, while it costs almost as much, or a rena xp3 would be a much more suitable filter IMO

eheim, fluval are really good brands, if you stick with a HOB filter, make sure to get twice the recommended for your tank, ex: if you have a 30g, dont get a AC30, but instead think of a AC70

well, i have all these extra filters from upgrading over the last few months.. i could do a 405 on my 55 gallon, and a fx5 on my 29 tetra tank..

I'd do it the other way around. The FX5 is suitable for larger tanks than the 405. FX5 is rated for 400 gallons. :) I have an FX5 on a 75, FX5 on 55 and FX5 on a 29 (that 29 should be upgrading to a 55 soon though).

i have always went by if its a 55 gallon tank, i usually try to do 550 gph.. like the 29 gallon would be 290 gph.

I'd just get a canister filter big enough and be done with it. Actually, that's what I did. It's a lot easier and quieter.

Back
Top Bottom