3 Gallon - Betta and ADF.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the first two pictures are before i added the plants. the second two are of the first two plants i put in. :)

Attachments

• fishtank 001.jpg
    fishtank 001.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 57
  • fishtank 002.jpg
    fishtank 002.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 53
  • fishtank 003.jpg
    fishtank 003.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 63
  • fishtank 004.jpg
    fishtank 004.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 61
the first picture is of the third unknown plant. the other three are the same three plants. any ideas on the type/species of plant? thanks :)

(sorry for the rubbish quality pictures!)

Attachments

• fishtank 005.jpg
    fishtank 005.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 64
  • fishtank 006.jpg
    fishtank 006.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 57
  • fishtank 007.jpg
    fishtank 007.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 59
  • fishtank 008.jpg
    fishtank 008.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 52
should i still plant them under the gravel or tie them to the rock?

i'm going to get the shrimp and maybe the snails on thursday. its a different shop to where i got the plants, so i'm gonna see if they have java fern and java moss. if they do i'll get some of them too:)

okay so, i took them outta their pots and planted them, but it was a bit of a kerfuffle! how do you guys do it, i think i'm doing it wrong! i'm gonna leave the mondo grass in there until i find something to do with it or it would be a waste!

does anyone know if it will live in a plant pot on a windowsill? or would it die?

thanks, Dan:D

It will grow in a pot on the window sill if it is well watered. It is a marginal plant in the wild.

i got the shrimp today!

i asked for 10 red cherry shrimp, but the guy caught about 30 by accident!
i didnt realise until i got home though, but he also caught 4 Mosquito Rasboras, which the shrimp shared a tank with at the shop! also, 1 of the bigger, redder shrimp has a yellow saddle! i took out the mondo grass and just put it in the bin... i couldnt find anything to do with it:/

does anyone know anything about the Mosquito Rasbora?

so i have about 30 Red Cherry Shrimp and 4 Mosquito Rasbora.

Boraras Brigittae. I have some. They are great fish for nano tanks.

The shrimp with the yellowish saddle... it probably looks cool, but you might want to take it out so it doesn't breed. Something like that can ruin the color of a colony and eventually you end up with offspring that will be a pale/brownish color. Neocaridina shrimp in the wild are not Red, or Yellow, or Blue, etc. They are selectively bred to get the colors we want. If different color shrimp breed together, you end up with regression back to what the wild species looks like, which is not all that attractive.

i got the shrimp today!

i asked for 10 red cherry shrimp, but the guy caught about 30 by accident!
i didnt realise until i got home though, but he also caught 4 Mosquito Rasboras, which the shrimp shared a tank with at the shop! also, 1 of the bigger, redder shrimp has a yellow saddle! i took out the mondo grass and just put it in the bin... i couldnt find anything to do with it:/

does anyone know anything about the Mosquito Rasbora?

so i have about 30 Red Cherry Shrimp and 4 Mosquito Rasbora.

Well they do best kept in groups of at least 6 and I wouldn't keep them in anything less than a 10 gal. You're tank is overstocked, my advice would be to take the fish back to the store. It's just not right to keep a small school of fish in less than 3 gallons of water.

Okay, thanks fort.

Do you suggest, fort, that I take the fish back or do you think they woud be okay in my tank?
The reason I ask you personally, is that you own some: )

Thanks, Dan.

I think 4 of them in a 3 gal is pushing it right to edge... but I would probably do it. Just my opinion. Is there a decent filter on the tank, and what temp is it at?

Let me throw in too that if you keep em, I would recommend you do 50% weekly water changes to keep everything peachy keen. What you have there is a tank that is not that easy to maintain, so you will need to be religious with the tank maintenance to keep it healthy. It won't take much to get 3 gals of water to turn south on you.

Wow. 4 1+" fish and 30+ shrimp in under 3 gals of water is only pushing it? I'm surprised fort, but I won't argue. I will say that I certainly hope that Mr.Albiman does a little of his own research on the Boraras Brigittae and makes his own educated decision about what are the proper conditions for such a fish.

I have 2 ADFs in a 10 gallon and they constantly hunt and harass any fish I put in there with them that is slower and goes near the bottom.

Wow. 4 1+" fish and 30+ shrimp in under 3 gals of water is only pushing it? I'm surprised fort, but I won't argue. I will say that I certainly hope that Mr.Albiman does a little of his own research on the Boraras Brigittae and makes his own educated decision about what are the proper conditions for such a fish.

I wouldn't call it 1+. They contribute almost 0 to bioload.

And I have 50 or more RCS in a 5 gal (and I have to add nitrates to keep the plants growing).

So yes, I would say it is only pushing it.

Do you have experience with them?

I have 2 ADFs in a 10 gallon and they constantly hunt and harass any fish I put in there with them that is slower and goes near the bottom.

I don't think he actually put an ADF or betta in the tank...

I wouldn't call it 1+. They contribute almost 0 to bioload.

And I have 50 or more RCS in a 5 gal (and I have to add nitrates to keep the plants growing).

So yes, I would say it is only pushing it.

Do you have experience with them?

I've researched them as I'd love to find some. Nice little fish. Though most sources say 10 gal min. for them, I'd really hate to see them in less than 5. Four of any fish in a 3 gal tank makes me cringe. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom