3 Gallon saltwater Fish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
We all love our saltwater tanks however the unfortunate thing is i spend most of my day at work !! UGH!. I had a thought a 3 Gallon desk tank would be perfectly acceptable at my work, if i had a hardy fish, would it be possible for me to keep say a small clown in a 3 gallon tank? I understand the biologically this would be more tricky as there is less water as a buffer but hey, clowns and atleast $6 chromis are hardy, what are some thoughts on this? I would rather go salt instead of fresh.

no fish could fit in a 3 gallon sw tank other than maybe a clown goby, but I wouldn't even do that. It's just too small of a space. Not to mention it would be A LOT of work. You would almost definitely need to top off like once or twice a day or get an ATO system.

I prefer the JBJ to the toms deco. They both need quite a bit of care though. An ATO is a must.

i would say get atleast a 5.5 gallon tank for just one, but if you want a pair get a 10 gallon and make sure there already a mated pair. this would be your best bet, but you should get some hermet crabs and snails to. but before you buy the clown fish buy two desmals just to make sure the water qualty is good, there more hardy then clown fish.

Don't be tempted by the salties. Think of how many pretty freshwater shrimp could fit in that 3gallon! And I would never put any fish in something less than 5g. I don't even plan on having any fish in my still-in-planning (more like scrounging up money for) 10g nano.

I believe if you are committed to taking care of the tank, no reason why you couldn't place a nano species fish or shrimp in the tank. The key is being prepared to handle such a small water volume. The usual chores apply only with greater frequency. That is, monitoring temp, salinity, top off, etc are things that need attention no matter what size tank. In a nano, its daily, not like us lazy folks who whine about 'monthy' water changes ; ) Those chores don't get much easier even that it were fresh water. You still have to be committed to daily monitoring of the tank with such a small volume. I dont consider an A. or O. Clown a nano species, but there are plenty of web sites that sell and provide information on well suited docile nano tank fish and inverts. Whatever you decide best of luck and post some pics so we can all learn along the way ; )

Back
Top Bottom