3 Id's Please!!! Think 1 is bad!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydavis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Not sure what the red thing is (think algae from what i have seen on here).

The white thing beside it i have no clue.

And the last picture I seen someone on here had one and i think the said these thing were bad for the tank.

I dont mind finding my own info the these if I knew the name of them.

Can someone please help.

Attachments

• saltwater tank 008.jpg
    saltwater tank 008.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 95
  • saltwater tank 016.jpg
    saltwater tank 016.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 75
THe red one looks like a planaria or a flat worm ..bad if it is hard it is coraline algea good
2nd is a pinapple sponge good filter feeder
final one is an aptasia bad can be eliminated with peppermint shrimp (wanrdi I know I butchered the spelling :p
Or joes juice , boiling water or lemon juice ..

ok i just went and touched the reed thing it is like jello.

i am gonna do some research on the pineapple sponge (however you spell it)

and last the bad one i seen like a bunch of the in a area on another rock so thats not good. what exactly is joes juice i have seen it on here before. neways this rock that this bad thing is on when i took it out to try to pull off the aptasia i did fing 2 small very small brittle star which was so cool.

i know if have alot of questions but thats the only way you find out stuff is to ask.

thank you very much sadielynn

I would advise against trying to manually remove the aiptasia, whether it be smushing it or ripping it out, etc.. This will only aid them in spreading throughout your entire tank. The best form of removal are the ones that Sadie mentioned.

ok going tomorrow to get 1 or 2 peppermint shrimp

so for the red thing i know you said hard was coraline algea
so with it being like jello and its kinda raised up but not very much at all

do you think it is the planaria or a flat worm and what do i do besides research both of those

The red thing might be a sponge of some sort. If it's soft and it bothers you just suck it off with a turkey baster or your next water change. You could just monitor it also.

You just keep asking , it is the only way to learn !!
I am sticking with the planiara (flat worm ) just siphion it off and watch to see if you find others .... If you do remove them as well ..:D
Or you can do as the others state monitor :D
Just type flat worm in the search of google you should get alot of results ;)

ok going tomorrow to get 1 or 2 peppermint shrimp

Just thought I'd add, from what I've read, that not all peppermint shrimp will eat aptasia, sometimes it depends on the shrimp and sometimes, the lfs could mark it as a peppermint shrimp even though it might not be. If you haven't gone yet, might wanna make sure you know exactly what Lysmata wurdemanni looks like. Good luck :)

I did but I did not discern one .... I went up to 400% and did not detect that ...

now this thing has opened up in the center it has small things coming out of it but you can barely see them i am going to post a picture of before and a picture of it now the now picture is not as good but it was the best i could do being how the things are so small

the first picture is of before it opened and the rest are of it now

Attachments

• saltwater_tank_020.jpg
    saltwater_tank_020.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 51
  • saltwater tank 021.jpg
    saltwater tank 021.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 66
  • saltwater tank 025.jpg
    saltwater tank 025.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 60
sorry that first picture is the wrong one here is the right one of it closed

Attachments

• saltwater tank 020.jpg
    saltwater tank 020.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 59
i did find these 2 little guys in there last night

i think one is a britlle star and the other is a starfish(of course) from what i have seen around on here and other websites

Attachments

• saltwater tank 012.jpg
    saltwater tank 012.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 60
  • saltwater tank 017.jpg
    saltwater tank 017.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 55
ok i was sure that was a baby starfish but i am ok with that. it is cute to look at. both of them were gone today when i got up maybe they will be out tonight i have a rocking chair sitting in front of the tank i just sit there and look around at the tank.

I dispise and dispose the astrea they munch on my coraline and some are not reef safe ... I am leaning towards that being a ball anenome as well and those are not conisdered safe ;)

Back
Top Bottom