3 ? in all,snails,rams,health

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nigi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
so the 1st is that i an say now that i have a truly infested tank ....by snails.this month its d busiest month at work,so when i come home and swith on the aquarium,i never look at it straight away today i did and saw more than15 snails of all sizes 'runnning' for cover.its a 12 gal, and i have one bottom feeder, a yo-yo loah,why isn;t he eating them? what an i do pls?

teh 2nd is that all my fish especially the rams have their lungs red.its at its worse when i switch d light on i think.(i have blak algea at d moment ould it be it?)

the 3rd is that one of my rams has its lips swollen and is all the time opening its mouthin a strange way.what is it?

How many fish are in that tank? 12 gallons is a little small for loaches and rams. snails can be gotten rid of by many methods.

Stick some lettuce(cucumber, squash, any veggie) in the tank at night, the snails will go to it, and then in the morning you can take the lettuce(etc.) and the snails out.

If you have the heart, you can smash them against the glass.

They don't like salt, so some aquarium salt will help to get rid of them.

How long has it been since you cleaned the tank? How long has it been set up, etc? Have you tested the water? What are the measuments (pH, temp, nitrates, nitrites, etc.)

HTH

the tank has been set up more than a year ago,in it i have two rams and 1 loach.i do water changed every week, but 2 weeks have passed sinc i didn't have time.

I'll try the lettuce trick. i think they got in, since i added some new plants two weeks ago.

ok ... i personally didn't think a yo-yo loach ate snails. That is why i havea stripped rafael catfish and 3 botia modesta in my tank as pest control. If you have a snail infestation you really need to keep on top of cleaning as they can be a huge bang to the bio-load that is in your tank (especially a small one). I have Malaysian burrowing trumpet snails in my tank (unexpectedly) and they are supposedly the worst to have in your tank due to a few reasons (a) almost all copper/salt tratments don't work or don't have any effect on them, (b) they are a live bearing snail and (c) unless you are all sand, they are hard to get to with most fish species.

as for your algae look into a fish that would eat the algae, besides manually removing it, it is the next best thing.

for your ram i am clueless in that aspect and you are gonna have to wait till someone with more knowledge then i can answer.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom