3 or six otos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bogben14

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is pretty full but I have hear otos have small bioload, should I get 3 or 6 for my 37 gallon tank?

What else is currently in the tank? I'm inclined to say 6 but that's dependent on your current stocking

Definitely 6, provided you have good enough filtration. They tend to do better in larger groups. Just keep on top of water changes and monitor your readings.

Just be aware that they're known to be fairly fragile, so take your time acclimating the fish properly. If you feel like you can do that better by only adding three at a time then by all means do that.

Will all six still get along if done 3 and 3? Which would be a better way?

Will all six still get along if done 3 and 3? Which would be a better way?

I'd personally only do 2 or 3 at a time, over the course of a couple of weeks. I don't think there'd be any issues with splitting them. The first few might be shy to start with until you add the others in.

How long has the tank been set up? I know some pet stores have "5 for ___" deals that would make it cheaper for you. If it's a well established tank you would be able to add more in at once.

Has the tank cycled?

I'd probably recommend adding your schools of barbs and tetras before getting the otos.

I would wait a while before adding them. They need mature tanks with lots of biofilm to eat and that can take several months. It is common for otos to not eat algae wafers or basic prepared foods. A 37 gal could potentially have a harder time sustaining 6 otos in the long term but each tank is different too.

Back
Top Bottom