3 week nitrite spike fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
eco23 said:
Just wait it out now. That let us know where you actually are in your cycle...near the end :)

I just tested the water and nitrites are still 5+ ppm. Water change??

I just tested the water and nitrites are still 5+ ppm. Water change??

It wouldn't hurt to do one. If you're going to spend the time to do it, you might as well change enough water to drop it to .5-1. Are you dosing the ammo up to 3-4ppm every 24 hours?

eco23 said:
It wouldn't hurt to do one. If you're going to spend the time to do it, you might as well change enough water to drop it to .5-1. Are you dosing the ammo up to 3-4ppm every 24 hours?

Yes i am. My ammonia converting bacteria are always able to get to get to 0 ppm the next day or maybe even faster

Ok ill keep doing that. And also i just got nitrites to about .5-1. How long would it take from now?

orandafan12 said:
Ok ill keep doing that. And also i just got nitrites to about .5-1. How long would it take from now?

There's no set answer. Your no2 will probably shoot back up quickly, but just keep feeding it ammo every 24hrs. I wish I could give you a set time...but there's not one. Could happen tomorrow...could be 2 weeks. You just don't know since every tank is different.

eco23 said:
There's no set answer. Your no2 will probably shoot back up quickly, but just keep feeding it ammo every 24hrs. I wish I could give you a set time...but there's not one. Could happen tomorrow...could be 2 weeks. You just don't know since every tank is different.

Hope it comes soon it been pretty much a month now.

orandafan12 said:
Hope it comes soon it been pretty much a month now.

A month or a bit longer is very average. Be glad you didn't start with fish. Cycling can take MUCH longer and you would have to be constantly carrying buckets to keep the fish swimming. Patience my friend...patience :)

eco23 said:
A month or a bit longer is very average. Be glad you didn't start with fish. Cycling can take MUCH longer and you would have to be constantly carrying buckets to keep the fish swimming. Patience my friend...patience :)

Hope its soon to end.

eco23 said:

This is crazy but i just tested my nitrites and its already 2+ ppm. Pretty crazy. Is this normal?

I'm having the same problem right now. I get sky high Nitrites and the only way to get them down is a HUGE WC, but once I add the Ammonia, they shoot right back up again. Did you even find out what was causing this?

FishN00b83 said:
I'm having the same problem right now. I get sky high Nitrites and the only way to get them down is a HUGE WC, but once I add the Ammonia, they shoot right back up again. Did you even find out what was causing this?

No it was just the cycle. I just kept doing pwc til i got it to about maybe 2 ppm. Then 1 it just all dissappeared

Back
Top Bottom