30 Gallon Species Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, I am having problems choosing fish for my 30 gallon planted tank. So far I have 6 Dwarf Puffers, 2 Honey Gouramis, 7 Blue-Green Neon Tetras,and 3 Siamese Algae Eaters. Any suggestions on other fish I can add?

Well I have the 6 puffers in my 15 gallon temporarily and they seem pretty peaceful.I keep them in there with guppies and they get along fine.The guppies are picking on the puffers though, oh the irony...lol.

Give them time and you will start to see your guppies dissapearing.

The 30 gal looks well stocked as it is.

keep the puffer's in the 15 gallon and put the guppies in your 30 gallon... htere ya go.

Blazeherd2306 said:
Give them time and you will start to see your guppies dissapearing.

The 30 gal looks well stocked as it is.

I agree they will nip anything after getting settle down.

Oh please don't do that....I still have nightmars about what my blue gurami did to that poor batta I had....

30 Gallon tank, I would try and focus on Dwarf Gurami, they are a nice active fish.

I don't know to much about puffer's so can't really tell yea about them.

I suggest either removing the puffers or all the other fish. If you remove the puffers, then you could add some other fish.

Ok, then I'll just keep them in my 15 gallon. So what fish can I put with 7 blue neon tetras and 4 oto cats and a male betta. So far that is 24 in. out of 30 in. of fish.

A betta makes it always difficult to stock an aquarium. Why don't you add a pair of dwarf gouramies? They look good too, might breed, and you are at your 30" of fish if you want that so bad. IMO it is always better to "leave some space" though.

I guess I can just leave my 30 at 34" of fish, I need to add a betta becuase I am moving it to a bigger tank. I might add some coolie loaches to the tank, but as long as I do water changes every week I am okay right, also the plants will absorb some of the nitrates and other nutrients.

As others have said, your dwarf puffers just aren't really an option. They're really a species tank kind of thing. Believe it or not, those finned bumblebees can be horribly vicious!

I very much enjoy my dwarf gouramis. Remember, gouramis like to have a couple females per male, so instead of a pair, you might want to do one male and two females. But you can't put them with a betta, because they'll fight.

I don't know if you've kept the male betta with other fish before, but if not, some male bettas don't care for other fish at all. Finian, my betta, would not stop terrorizing his tankmates and had to get his own place. However, my daughter's betta Rainbow doesn't care if he has tankmates.

I have firat hand expeirence witht he puffers years ago when I had my first "i dont now what im doing" tank, the puffer didnt wait to settle in It imediatly swam over and removed a mollies tail and killed it before i could do anything about it :cry:

Back
Top Bottom