300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey. Greg !!! Yup ,still hanging here ,.... just been really busy at work these days and haven't posted too much lately ,... I wish I had the room etc to make a greg surge zone ,.... heading for the big island in something like 35 days or so,..laura and I will head over to " two step " and snorkel around there ,I love watching the fish in the surge area ,...totally awesome !! Hope All's well !!!

Enjoy Hawaii! I'm due to make a trip back there.

Finally happened. Hawaii just cut off any fish collection for undetermined amount of time. It was inevitable. While trawlers off the coast decimate wild fish populations, we get our supply of tangs terminated.

actually , with all the hype over the last few years it doesn't surprise me in the least ,... I wonder if this'll start a domino effect with other areas ? .... I imagine we'll see the price of lfs tangs in stock skyrocketing (?)

Ordered some new fish from Blue Zoo. Adding a fish to "this old reef" is a careful proposition.

I have for years been beating back majano pests and as my reef is cemented together by a few huge sps colonies, getting to them all is almost impossible.
After a lot of research, I'm adding a Klein's Butterfly fish. I have tons of polyps to spare if he munches some, as long as it lives up to its name as a majano killer. I have the fish trap ready if it all goes south on me.

Hit or miss on the shrimp. Only guarantee in my reef is the huge wrasses will disassemble any shrimp I add.

All fish arrived intact. They shorted me in some food so I found a 2" black triggerfish in the box. In he went.

2" Klein's Butterfly
Royal gramma
Lawnmower Benny
And the trigger.

Short on food and a trigger instead? That's an interesting mix up.
As for the shrimp, I wish they were actually effective at aiptasia removal. Just not making much headway on these tiny aiptasia.

The little trigger didn’t make it. All other fish were fine. The butterfly is pecking at the manjanos but nothing dramatic yet.
I never, ever had a shrimp eat a aptasia. I’m afraid I have to see it to believe it.

Do you think your other fish caused the death of the trigger or was it just the whole reacclimation process in general ? Re the acro , wow ! That’s crazy !!

I guess you do the best you can with all the knowledge you’ve acquired over the years but in the long run it’s still only a 50/50 chance that everything will go well ,... it’s really sad to lose a critter like that ,.. I always feel terrible for the little guy and try to figure out just what happened ,... sometimes it’s just out of our hands I’m afraid ., still sad to see .

I agree, but my average fish is over 10 years old, so I guess a can loose a fish. Still felt bad, then went to Red Lobster for Endless Shrimp night and felt better.

The butterfly is pecking at the rocks, but no manjano action, yet.

Lol ..... “endless shrimp night “ ..... maybe these triggers know what heard doing after all when they eat every shrimp you have in you tank !

The Klein’s Butterfly is growing fast. Still picking on the rocks. The manjanos seem smaller, like they are getting picked on.

Back
Top Bottom