300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rims of my caps have gone brown again. As my phosphates go to below 0.1ppm, my caps and soft corals are suffering. Everything else is thriving. After 35 years of this, it still confuses me at times.

I am posting my shingle "Tang Police." I have heard enough rationalization as to why my adult tangs are happy in my 30 gallon tank, even though they can't turn around anymore. Since the term is meant to be a derogatory term, I will embrace it. It is our responsibility to provide our PETS with a happy and natural environment, otherwise leave it in the sea.

Anyone joining me?

One note, this doesn't mean a 1" hippo tang isn't happy in a 55gallon, everything is relative, but keeping it in there when it gets to 8" (about 2 years with proper feeding) is cruel IMO.

Last edited:
This one isn't. Eats like a pig. Have had him just a year and he has doubled in size. LFS didn't know what to do with him so I took him.

I believe one issue with them is aggression.

They don't look aggressive haha they've got such a calm look to them :) they guy at my LFS has one in his tank it's definatley one of my favourites along with his Red Sea sailfin

They are beautiful for sure. The only fish he doesn't try to kill is a foxface twice his size. Those two are never far from each other.

But he was one of the few tangs I haven't raised until now. I will cater to him, once he is bigger I will see how he does with other tangs, but I'm not optimistic.

I have never had trouble keeping clown tangs alive, but all of them were nasty. I may get a 480 gallon tank down the road. If so I may try another.

Nice tank. That's a good starter size for me. I want to go from my 300 to a bent 1000 gallon. The "outside corner" aspects of my reef in relation to tang comfort has worked very well.

I'm with ya on the Tang Police issue! :) I'm actually grabbing a Yellow after work today from someone on Craigslist. Not sure what size tank it is in, but am guessing something small. I am debating whether to QT or just add directly to my 240g. He says he has had it for a month and no signs of anything.

Love that Clown. I've always wanted one of those or a Sohal, but the nasty disposition has always worried me enough to pass on them.

For what it's worth, I would never take a fish or anything out of someone's tank and not qt it before putting it into my tank. You have no idea what that fish has been exposed to in the other tank and what can come out just from the stress of the transfer.
Just my 2 cents ;)

I think you should get a bigger tank Greg 1000 gal would be amazing seeing how you have the 300 now I think you would have to start charging people to come see it haha

I straddle the fence on QT. I sure see the need for it, but it can add additional stress on the fish which is the opposite of what you want. I have never had a nice big tank for QT, so I use my frag tank plumbed into the main system. That way I can observe and catch the fish if there is any issues, including aggression. I also then know the fish has a long adaption period in the water he will live his life out in. Yes, it could cause a problem, but so far it hasn't.

As far as charging admission, no thanks! ;) I have enough dealing with the public in my job.

Plus, I guess I'm never happy. You see a old flourishing reef, I see all that's wrong with it yet.

Yea that's a good point iv have a few people look at my tank and like it but I'm sitting back and thinking there is still so much more work to be done. I'm glad I don't have to deal with the public all day it's just me and the welder haha.
Would you keep the 300 running of you got a 1000

Back
Top Bottom