300 gallon "Outside Corner" Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it is a shame our hobby had such a role in this invasion. I hope it doesn't generate additional restrictions as there is constant pressure to eliminate live capture completely.

Poor little dried up Midas blenny. He was approximately .48" in diameter and jumped thru a .5" mesh screen. First successful (or not so much) jumper in many years.

I know that feeling ( my humuhumu ) from. A few weeks back,... I now have an egg crate screen on top of the tank,.. I should have known better in the first place!

He was about 3" long and was exiled from the office 38gallon reef because he killed anything that got near his burrow. He was among the smaller fish in the main reef, but I have some 10 year old 1" blue damsels still in there.

Doc Holliday: [after killing Johnny Ringo] It would appear that the strain was more than he could bear.
"Why...Johnny Ringo.....looks like someone just walked over your grave"
Love that movie!

The faster our hobby gets off the wild collection addiction, the better off we will all be. I am an aquarist and a diver, I must admit watching divers catch fish that I myself probably might have bought at the LFS or read about dying in a aquarium really gives me pause. Seeing them ripped from their habitats is a bit like watching how hot dogs are made. It kind of dampens the joy of fish collection. I love it when I see a tank full of hundreds of clown fish raised for the industry.

The faster our hobby gets off the wild collection addiction, the better off we will all be. I am an aquarist and a diver, I must admit watching divers catch fish that I myself probably might have bought at the LFS or read about dying in a aquarium really gives me pause. Seeing them ripped from their habitats is a bit like watching how hot dogs are made. It kind of dampens the joy of fish collection. I love it when I see a tank full of hundreds of clown fish raised for the industry.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403223375.835328.jpg you mimic my thoughts .... Seeing the reef fish that are used to roaming miles of shoreline suddenly put into a little tiny tank must be sooooo stressful,... Some day maybe the captive breeding program will evolve to that point where we will no longer need the wild caught fish .., unfortunately , each and everyone of us are as guilty as the next one for the current policies,... I would imagine that over time the captive bred fish would be much less susceptible to diseases and parasite than the wild caught creatures ,...fingers crossed that we'll see it someday soon.

I don't ascribe feeling to fish like they are dogs or people, but I do think it is our responsibility, if we remove them from their native homes, to provide the best possible environment and food. Otherwise, leave them be. That's where the Tang Police in me comes out.

I can only say, for me, that my tangs will live out their full lifespans of almost 20 years, are fat and glossy and swim calmly. This is a direct result of observing them for 30 years and figuring out what they require both nutritionally but psychologically as well.

As your photo shows, they tend to school in order to feel safe. Some tangs go it alone, but all living creatures want to feel safe. In the case of inter species predation, getting out of the line of sight of the predator fish is step one, they have to have a safe area they can hunt in and feel they can easily escape a sneak attack. That's just a small part of what tang psychology entails. JMO

Last edited:
The sweet yellow tangs have decided they hate the blue jaw triggerfish and have driven him into hiding. He will only come out to eat. I guess I will have to re home him as the tangs aren't backing down. That scalpel on their tails can wreck havoc on other fish.

Wish I lived near you because I would buy the Blue Jaw off of you (if you could catch it ). One of my all time favorite fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It was the big hippo tang picking on him. Trying to distract the hippo with a photo of himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom